Firewalls

Discussion in 'Java' started by freesoft_2000, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I am trying to set the properties so that i can reach
    URL's using the Java URL class but usually i use this if there is a proxy

    System.setProperty("http.proxyHost","proxy");
    System.setProperty("http.proxyPort","80");

    but after visiting some sites they said that if i want to connect to a URL
    outside a firewall(not sure if proxy and firewall are the same thing) i
    must do this and not the above code i listed
    but the one below

    System.setProperty("firewallHost", "proxy");
    System.setProperty("firewallPort", "80");

    The thing is i can't seem to find any information on
    Sun's site or on google using the firewallHost property. Currently i don't
    use a firewall so i can't really test this code out and would really
    appreciate any insight from anyone about this.

    I also have a feeling that the firewallHost property is
    an old property that isn't used anymore but the thing is i can't confirm
    it.

    From what i know is that if i have to reach a url via a
    proxy i would usually use the first code i listed above but what about
    reaching a url via a firewall. Aren't the codes the same as the first code
    i listed above?? Someone correct me if i am wrong

    If they are not what is the correct way to do it?
    Links to sites or sample codes would be helpful

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Thank You

    Your Sincerely

    Richard West

    freesoft_2000, Jul 30, 2005

  2. freesoft_2000

    Esmond Pitt Guest

    http.* is it. I have never heard of firewall* and I have been using Java
    since 1997.

    Esmond Pitt, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Hi everyone,

    I know what you mean as i have never heard of it until three
    days ago and i was thinking that maybe the proxy and firewall thing was a
    separate thing.

    For example one of the websites that said about this is

    http://developer.apple.com/qa/java/java25.html

    That website one that made me think that maybe there was a different value
    for proxies and firewalls and not the same.

    Anyways let me know what you think about the information listed on that
    webite and is it anything that i need to worry about

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Thank You

    Yours Sincerely

    Richard West

    freesoft_2000, Jul 31, 2005
  4. freesoft_2000

    Roland Guest

    On 31-7-2005 15:02, freesoft_2000 wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I know what you mean as i have never heard of it until three
    > days ago and i was thinking that maybe the proxy and firewall thing was a
    > separate thing.
    >
    > For example one of the websites that said about this is
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/qa/java/java25.html
    >
    > That website one that made me think that maybe there was a different value
    > for proxies and firewalls and not the same.
    >
    > Anyways let me know what you think about the information listed on that
    > webite and is it anything that i need to worry about
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Yours Sincerely
    >
    > Richard West

    The firewall* properties are probably only supported by Apple's Java
    environment. Sun's JRE doesn't support them (but the http.proxy*
    properties are, see
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/properties.html>).

    [Note that the page you are referring to uses the system properties
    "proxyHost", "ftpProxyPort" etc. rather than Sun's 'official'
    "http.proxyHost", "ftp.proxyPort".]

    If you have problems connecting to an external URL through a firewall
    [and if the firewall is a software firewall, like XP SP2, ZoneAlarm,
    Kerio, Norton Internet Suite, etc], make sure that the firewall allows
    the java executable to connect to external site.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ` ___ ___