Firewalls

freesoft_2000

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set the properties so that i can reach
URL's using the Java URL class but usually i use this if there is a proxy

System.setProperty("http.proxyHost","proxy");
System.setProperty("http.proxyPort","80");

but after visiting some sites they said that if i want to connect to a URL
outside a firewall(not sure if proxy and firewall are the same thing) i
must do this and not the above code i listed
but the one below

System.setProperty("firewallHost", "proxy");
System.setProperty("firewallPort", "80");

The thing is i can't seem to find any information on
Sun's site or on google using the firewallHost property. Currently i don't
use a firewall so i can't really test this code out and would really
appreciate any insight from anyone about this.

I also have a feeling that the firewallHost property is
an old property that isn't used anymore but the thing is i can't confirm
it.

From what i know is that if i have to reach a url via a
proxy i would usually use the first code i listed above but what about
reaching a url via a firewall. Aren't the codes the same as the first code
i listed above?? Someone correct me if i am wrong

If they are not what is the correct way to do it?
Links to sites or sample codes would be helpful

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Your Sincerely

Richard West

Esmond Pitt

http.* is it. I have never heard of firewall* and I have been using Java
since 1997.

freesoft_2000

Hi everyone,

I know what you mean as i have never heard of it until three
days ago and i was thinking that maybe the proxy and firewall thing was a
separate thing.

For example one of the websites that said about this is

http://developer.apple.com/qa/java/java25.html

That website one that made me think that maybe there was a different value
for proxies and firewalls and not the same.

Anyways let me know what you think about the information listed on that
webite and is it anything that i need to worry about

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Roland

Hi everyone,

I know what you mean as i have never heard of it until three
days ago and i was thinking that maybe the proxy and firewall thing was a
separate thing.

For example one of the websites that said about this is

http://developer.apple.com/qa/java/java25.html

That website one that made me think that maybe there was a different value
for proxies and firewalls and not the same.

Anyways let me know what you think about the information listed on that
webite and is it anything that i need to worry about

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West
The firewall* properties are probably only supported by Apple's Java
environment. Sun's JRE doesn't support them (but the http.proxy*
properties are, see
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/properties.html>).

[Note that the page you are referring to uses the system properties
"proxyHost", "ftpProxyPort" etc. rather than Sun's 'official'
"http.proxyHost", "ftp.proxyPort".]

If you have problems connecting to an external URL through a firewall
[and if the firewall is a software firewall, like XP SP2, ZoneAlarm,
Kerio, Norton Internet Suite, etc], make sure that the firewall allows
the java executable to connect to external site.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___