Fixed Site Size

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

This following is a signature:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You may have missed this comment in my previous post.
Please snip signatures if you newsreader doesn't automatically. Thanks.
They are the parts including and after the "-- " above.
Any hints on what I did wrong that it works so poorly on other
browsers? I was working under the impression that the code I was
using was cross-browser.

Have you actually looked at it yourself in any other browsers? My screen
shot was with Opera.
Maybe if I go to strict, and fix the sizing, then it will look right
on the other browsers?

Here is what I would do.

I would drop all the absolute positioning. Pixel-perfect layout is
unobtainium.

Learn to use floats for your content section.

Then I would start over, adding just one piece at a time and testing it
in at least Firefox, Opera, and IE6.

Jonathan N. Little

Yogi_Bear_79 said:
The menu wasn't previously on the page, I added it back in.
Original: http://314rcsspouses.homedns.org/hollywoodoil/test.shtml
Transitional: http://314rcsspouses.homedns.org/hollywoodoil/index.shtml
Strict: http://314rcsspouses.homedns.org/hollywoodoil/index1.shtml

The original page is the one with the menu that cause all the grief. The
transitional page should be formatted correctly,however the menu doesn't
work. The Strict page needs some formatting adjustments, and some code
adjustments to valaidate but the menus work. Well they work as long as they
fit in the menu div tag.

I get the menu in Strict with SeaMonkey but your dealer links with
images on right are obscured by the middle blank block like it was in
BTS's screenshot...

Travis Newbury

Yogi_Bear_79 said:
Any hints on what I did wrong that it works so poorly on other browsers? I
was working under the impression that the code I was using was
cross-browser. Maybe if I go to strict, and fix the sizing, then it will
look right on the other browsers?

Welcome to the real world... Install FF, then install the IE Tab
Plugin. Make FF your default browser and test away. The plugin will
let you jump between IE and FF in a single browser. If it works in
them, then you are probably in good shape.

Take the advice someone gave to you to remove the menu until you get
the rest looking right, then add the menu back in and tweak until it
works right.