    viewable by those without Java, and by those using AOL as well as IE6.
    TIA
    steve

    Steve, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Steve

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Steve <>
    writing in news::

    > How can I specify a background image so that the image dynamically
    > resizes depending on the resolution of the viewer's screen? That is,
    > background images ordinarily appear bigger when viewed on
    > low-resolution screens and smaller when viewed on high-resolution
    > screens. Is there any way to display the background graphic as
    > 'centered, 50% of screen width"? Alternatively, is there any way to
    > keep the background graphic from tiling? The web page needs to be
    > viewable by those without Java, and by those using AOL as well as IE6.
    > TIA
    > steve

    Background images cannot be resized. However, they can be kept from
    tiling.

    body {background-image: url("yourimage.png"); background-repeat: no-
    repeat; background-color: color similar to image; color: contrasting color
    for text;}

    You are also confusing Java with Javascript, they are not the same.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Steve

    Brett Guest

    > Is there any way to display the background graphic as
    > 'centered, 50% of screen width"?

    body{background-position: center;} <-- this will be centered top to bottom
    and left to right
    body{background-position: center top;} <--this will be centered horizontally
    and aligned at top
    ....ect.
    --
    Brett
    Provision Tech

    Brett, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Steve

    Richard Guest

    Adrienne wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Steve
    > <>
    > writing in news::

    >> How can I specify a background image so that the image dynamically
    >> resizes depending on the resolution of the viewer's screen? That is,
    >> background images ordinarily appear bigger when viewed on
    >> low-resolution screens and smaller when viewed on high-resolution
    >> screens. Is there any way to display the background graphic as
    >> 'centered, 50% of screen width"? Alternatively, is there any way to
    >> keep the background graphic from tiling? The web page needs to be
    >> viewable by those without Java, and by those using AOL as well as IE6.
    >> TIA
    >> steve

    > Background images cannot be resized. However, they can be kept from
    > tiling.

    > body {background-image: url("yourimage.png"); background-repeat: no-
    > repeat; background-color: color similar to image; color: contrasting
    > color
    > for text;}

    {background-position: center} may work in some browsers.

    Richard, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks to all for the suggestions -