Fixing Python instalation in win2000 by hand

Sambo

Some time ago I bought a newer computer with W2000 already on it so I moved my old drive
to it as secondary( python was installed on non primary partition ).
Not sure if the .msi installers were broken before, but they are now (on this installation)
and the reason I can't move to brand new installation is because I am missing sound drivers.
I have copied 3 files from my d:\winnt\system32 (old C:) pywintypes24.dll, pythoncom24.dll
(mod 11/10/2004 4:26am) and python24.dll (mod 18/11/2004 6:55pm)
As a result I can now run python.exe but not pythonw.exe
Is there anything else I need and what, if anything, should be in my PYTHONPATH
"f:\Python24\Lib" ? ?? Although if I type import os it has no problem.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sambo

BartlebyScrivener said:
Are you installing from c:\ ? almost never

With administrator rights?
pretty sure "YES"
Check other requirements. It chokes if you are installing from another
logical drive, e.g., d:\

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/installnotes.html

rick

This problem is not limited to Python, Ja*va.* and MPLab.msi don't work either.
It was screwed up by some windows update , and never fixed by any additional
updates.
Hmmm. I'll try from C: but.....

BartlebyScrivener

I'll try from C: but.....

Definitely do that. None of the .msi installers are working for me from
any drive except C. Been that way for months.

Here's some helpful tips from an ActiveState email of a few months
back. Note especially that you need version 2.0 or greater of the
installer:

Here are some tips for troubleshooting MSI installer problems.

You may want to try disabling any anti-virus software you have running
as they
frequently cause software installation failures.

MSI Installers have a known issue with mapped network drives; please
copy the
installer to the c:\ root drive and try running the installation again.

If you are using the NTFS file system, please make sure that the SYSTEM
account has full rights over the target installation directory, the
directory
containing the installer file, AND the Windows Installer directory,
located at
either c:\WINNT\Installer\ (WINNT 4 / Windows 2000) or
c:\Windows\Installer\
(Windows XP).

This may be the result of an altered Windows Scripting Host
installation. The
best workaround is to reinstall this Windows component.

Windows Scripting Host can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

( for Windows 200 / XP )

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&DisplayLang=en

( for Windows 9x / Me / NT4 )

You will need to be logged in as an administrator of the target
computer. You
will also need to ensure that you have full permissions to install on
the
drive you have chosen.

You must have Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or greater to run
the
MSI package. There is a link to download the correct Windows Installer
for
your platform on the System Requirements page:

http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/system_requirements.plex

The MSI file may be corrupt. You may also want to try re-downloading
the
installation package and trying the installation again. If you have
trouble
downloading the file, you may want to try getting it via FTP:

ftp://ftp.activestate.com or http://downloads.activestate.com

If you are still seeing errors after the re-installation attempt, it
would be
helpful if you could send us a log of the installation process. You can
perform Microsoft Installer logging using the msiexec command:

C:\> msiexec /I installer_file_name.msi /L*v install.log

Send us the resultant install.log file and we will investigate further.

Let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Sambo

BartlebyScrivener said:
You may want to try disabling any anti-virus software you have running
as they
frequently cause software installation failures.

NONE!!
MSI Installers have a known issue with mapped network drives; please
copy the
installer to the c:\ root drive and try running the installation again.

If you are using the NTFS file system, please make sure that the SYSTEM
account has full rights over the target installation directory, the
directory
containing the installer file, AND the Windows Installer directory,
located at
either c:\WINNT\Installer\ (WINNT 4 / Windows 2000) or
c:\Windows\Installer\
(Windows XP).

Since I have not formated this drive (C:) it happens to be NTFS.
SYSTEM account??? what's that, where do I manage that?
When I was trying to share these drives in the past with linux,
I would often run into a message similar to "cannot share drive as main-c
drive already shared for system 'something' (C$)"

This may be the result of an altered Windows Scripting Host
installation. The
best workaround is to reinstall this Windows component.

Windows Scripting Host can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

( for Windows 200 / XP )

or
Genuine validation? lol this should be interesting.
[...]

I believe the most recent code I have tried to install was V3
InstMsiW.exe 1822848 Cre Aug. 13 2005
But if I am not mistaken it always came up with ERROR box "The specified service already exists."
May have been installed by some auto update, looking at the log seams like I have installer V3.

c:\temp1>msiexec /I c:\temp1\python-2.4c1.msi /L*v install.log
/L*v ????
ok here it is... before downloading and installin the VB scripting crap.( in case it starts closing apps
trying to reboot and clear all this typing I've done hehe.

install.log
=== Verbose logging started: 17/04/2006 12:28:52 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435 Calling process: C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: c:\temp1\python-2.4c1.msi
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:29:23:156]: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005

MSI (c) (84:10) [12:29:23:156]: MainEngineThread is returning 1601
=== Verbose logging stopped: 17/04/2006 12:29:23 ===

Sambo

[...]

Well, I installed the scripten.exe but to no avail.
same log , same behavior.
install1.log
=== Verbose logging started: 17/04/2006 13:20:01 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435 Calling process: C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:01:781]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:01:781]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:01:781]: ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: python-2.4c1.msi
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:01:890]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:33:296]: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005

MSI (c) (4C:10) [13:20:33:312]: MainEngineThread is returning 1601
=== Verbose logging stopped: 17/04/2006 13:20:33 ===

Windows Installer (box)
The windows Installer Service could not be accessed. this can occur.... in safe mode, or
if Installer is not correctly installed. Contact.... for assistance.

So I guess no way to retrieve the contents/instructions of python.msi SCRYPT to find out
what should go where?

Cheers.

BartlebyScrivener

the reason I can't move to brand new installation is because I am missing sound drivers.

If I were you, I'd download the latest ActiveState version of Python
from:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

I would install it from c:\

Who cares about sound drivers if all you want to do is get Python up
and running?

rd