Floating

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hello,
I have one <div> on the left which is floating and I want another <div> to
be positioned on its right.
The problem is that when I resize the window the margins of the <div>
container on the right touch the container on the left
(do you talk about collapsing margins, by the way?)
The <div> on the left is used for a menu and the <div> on the right for a
list of content or table of contents.
All that on the page
If I use clear:left;
the list of contents is placed after the menu but I want it to be positioned
on its right when the window is large.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hello,
I have one <div> on the left which is floating and I want another <div> to
be positioned on its right.
The problem is that when I resize the window the margins of the <div>
container on the right touch the container on the left
(do you talk about collapsing margins, by the way?)
The <div> on the left is used for a menu and the <div> on the right for a
list of content or table of contents.
All that on the page
If I use clear:left;
the list of contents is placed after the menu but I want it to be positioned
on its right when the window is large.

Why would you think to use clear when what you want is precisely
the very opposite? Do you use things that have names and when
there is any sort of problem, you look around and see what other
names are usually mentioned in association with the things you
are having trouble with and just think, I will try to introduce
these other things, who knows what they do, I might get lucky.

There is an extremely fine analogy going around alt.html at the
moment likening making a website to baking a cake. You hear cooks
go on about "a pinch of salt" with so many cakes; you are having
trouble with a cake; you haul the wreck out and make a few holes
and introduce salt and stick it back in the oven... Why not? It
was mentioned in association with cakes.

If you want the div on the right not to touch the div floated on
the left, you need to decide if it is going to have a width,
perhaps best. And maybe margin and padding. You then have to add
these up. Then probably best to give the right div a left margin
sufficient to contain the float and some... And make with a few
margins and padding on it till you get what you want. Play in FF
with its extensions which let you see the effect of experiments
on the css immedietely. But you can give IE special instructions
inside certain hacks.

But IE will send you crazy. However you can give IE special
instructions. But first things first.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Why would you think to use clear when what you want is precisely
the very opposite? Do you use things that have names and when
there is any sort of problem, you look around and see what other
names are usually mentioned in association with the things you
are having trouble with and just think, I will try to introduce
these other things, who knows what they do, I might get lucky.

There is an extremely fine analogy going around alt.html at the
moment likening making a website to baking a cake. You hear cooks
go on about "a pinch of salt" with so many cakes; you are having
trouble with a cake; you haul the wreck out and make a few holes
and introduce salt and stick it back in the oven... Why not?

Exactly, why not?
You find out things by experimenting and as long as you do not experiment
dangerous things, it is safe, isn´t it?
It
was mentioned in association with cakes.

If you want the div on the right not to touch the div floated on
the left, you need to decide if it is going to have a width,
perhaps best. And maybe margin and padding. You then have to add
these up. Then probably best to give the right div a left margin
sufficient to contain the float and some... And make with a few
margins and padding on it till you get what you want. Play in FF
with its extensions which let you see the effect of experiments
on the css immedietely.
I think that I had already tried it.

But you can give IE special instructions
inside certain hacks.

But IE will send you crazy. However you can give IE special
instructions. But first things first.
I have not tested it only only on IE.
it seems ok on Opera and Firefox as well.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
dorayme said:
Exactly, why not?

Because your chances of getting it right if you are just trying
"clear" without finding out what it means from the specs are
slim. And your chances of making an impending disaster of a cake
better by hauling it out of the oven and shoving salt in it
because you have heard the word salt in association with cakes in
the past are even slimmer.

How slim is this latter? Let me tell you: slimmer than the
chances that you will ever acknowledge the meaning and
implications of anything said here without misunderstanding over
50% of it.

But it's ok. Eliza. It is not your fault. Where is that original
Basic programmer...?

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
dorayme said:
Because your chances of getting it right if you are just trying
"clear" without finding out what it means from the specs are
slim. And your chances of making an impending disaster of a cake
better by hauling it out of the oven and shoving salt in it
because you have heard the word salt in association with cakes in
the past are even slimmer.

How slim is this latter? Let me tell you: slimmer than the
chances that you will ever acknowledge the meaning and
implications of anything said here without misunderstanding over
50% of it.

But it's ok. Eliza. It is not your fault. Where is that original
Basic programmer...?

I do not share your opinion.
You do not need send any e-mail, ok
(unless you are really interested in something concerning my website and/or
one-man business)

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
I do not share your opinion.
You do not need send any e-mail, ok
(unless you are really interested in something concerning my website and/or
one-man business)

You only sell men singly? Aren't they cheaper by the dozen?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Jonathan N. Little"
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

You only sell men singly? Aren't they cheaper by the dozen?

Hell, I'd _give_ myself away under the right circumstances...

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <[email protected]> wrote:

I do not share your opinion.
You do not need send any e-mail, ok
(unless you are really interested in something concerning my website and/or
one-man business)[/QUOTE]

I have never ever sent you an email. I am intensely interested in
your one-man business. Sorry if I was rude to you old boy...
Don't take it too badly...

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am intensely interested in
In which way?

In every possible way...

-----
btw why are you the only poster that comes up in my newsreader as
"simplified Chinese (Mac OS)" I am not kidding. This actually
happens and the fonts are strange, blurry etc. What settings do
you have on your newsreader? Go on, say something altogether
irrelevant to this (in simplified Chinese, doubtless)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
In every possible way...

Really?
I have never got an e-mail from you saying that you want to buy some service
which is offered on my website and giving your correct name, adress and
telephone number....

dorayme

In every possible way...

Really?
I have never got an e-mail from you saying that you want to buy some service
which is offered on my website and giving your correct name, adress and
telephone number....[/QUOTE]

I'm shy.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Really?
I have never got an e-mail from you saying that you want to buy some service
which is offered on my website and giving your correct name, adress and
telephone number....

I'm shy.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
I have nothing against shy people but if you are so shy as you do not even
want to say whether you are a woman or a man....
well....

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hello,
I have nothing against shy people but if you are so shy as you do not even
want to say whether you are a woman or a man....
well....

I have nothing against homosexuals either
but I am heterosexual.

dorayme

Hello,
I have nothing against shy people but if you are so shy as you do not even
want to say whether you are a woman or a man....
well....[/QUOTE]

But, Luigi... I don't think you fully understand. I am very shy.

Reminds me of the bloke who went to see his doctor:

"Doctor, I have been talking to myself"

"So? It is not so abnormal"

"But, Doctor, you don't understand, I am very boring"

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Hello,
I have nothing against shy people but if you are so shy as you do not even
want to say whether you are a woman or a man....
well....

But, Luigi... I don't think you fully understand. I am very shy.

Reminds me of the bloke who went to see his doctor:

"Doctor, I have been talking to myself"

"So? It is not so abnormal"

"But, Doctor, you don't understand, I am very boring"[/QUOTE]

Do you think that you are boring?

dorayme

But, Luigi... I don't think you fully understand. I am very shy.

Reminds me of the bloke who went to see his doctor:

"Doctor, I have been talking to myself"

"So? It is not so abnormal"

"But, Doctor, you don't understand, I am very boring"

Do you think that you are boring?[/QUOTE]

I reckon that you trained to be able to get the wrong end of the
stick so often. You are good! You are very good! The point was
not about the boring but about the very. Ah... Eliza... you Basic
wizard you....

mbstevens

I reckon that you trained to be able to get the wrong end of the
stick so often. You are good! You are very good! The point was
not about the boring but about the very. Ah... Eliza... you Basic
wizard you....

I can't think of anything more perverse than someone who rewrote
Eliza in Basic. Eliza's _Basically_ about list processing in Lisp. I
could understand rewriting it in Haskel, Python, Ruby, or Perl. But
Basic? That's just sick. Sick. Sick.
:~)