    there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??

    Here is the link and you'll see what I mean

    http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/aboveandbelow/flyinglinks.html
    Stargazer, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Stargazer <> wrote:

    > I'm currently redesigning my site and just came across this awsome
    > flying link script only problem is there is no spacing in the back and
    > there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??

    Dunno. Doesn't even work in Opera, so I'd hesitate to call it
    "awesome".

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Stargazer

    Randy Webb Guest

    Ed Jay said the following on 12/31/2005 3:42 PM:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica <> wrote:
    >

    >>Stargazer <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm currently redesigning my site and just came across this awsome
    >>>flying link script only problem is there is no spacing in the back and
    >>>there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??

    >>Dunno. Doesn't even work in Opera, so I'd hesitate to call it
    >>"awesome".

    > It isn't awesome (IMHO), but it works in my Opera 8.5.

    It's more annoying than anything else.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Stargazer wrote:
    > I'm currently redesigning my site and just came across this awsome
    > flying link script only problem is there is no spacing in the back and
    > there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??
    >
    > Here is the link and you'll see what I mean
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/aboveandbelow/flyinglinks.html

    Doesn't work in Firefox 1.5..
    They simply set a timout on some function and change the position of the
    anchor elements. If you don't want ads bahind the links, don't put them
    there :)

    luph
    Lüpher Cypher, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Stargazer

    Stargazer Guest

    I didn't put them there angelfire did!
    Stargazer, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Stargazer

    Ivo Guest

    "Stargazer" <> wrote
    > "Lüpher Cypher" <> wrote
    > > If you don't want ads bahind the links, don't put them there :)
    > > I didn't put them there angelfire did!

    If you don't want the ads, move away from angelfire. There are alternatives.
    To just free your content from the underlayer, add some <br> tags or a
    'margin-top:200px' in an appropriate place.

    And please quote some of the post you 're replying to. That 's custom around
    newsgroups.

    hth
    ivo
    http://4umi.com/web/javascript/
    Ivo, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Stargazer wrote:
    > I didn't put them there angelfire did!

    Well, I'd suggest moving to a banner-free provider then :)
    The links are simply on on top of whatever is behind them. You get to
    move them around, but they will always move around above whatever the
    background is. I bet you could remove the banners with some scripting
    (has nothing to do with links, though), but I am pretty sure it's
    against angelfire's t&c :)
    Another thing - if you want to stay with angelfire, see how much space
    off the top the banners take, and modify the script to account for that
    :) Say,

    var bannersHeight = 200;
    var centerX = 100;
    var centerY = bannersHeight+100;
    var radius = 50;
    ...move about (centerX,centerY)..

    :)

    Anyways, the script is no good as apparently it does not work in some
    popular browsers. In my Firefox, not only the links not moving around,
    but worse - they are not even there :)

    luph
    Lüpher Cypher, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Stargazer

    Stargazer Guest

    Where would I put the br tags?? and also the margin-top 200px??? What
    also do you mean by quoting the posts?
    Stargazer, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Stargazer

    Guest

    Stargazer wrote:
    > I'm currently redesigning my site and just came across this awsome
    > flying link script only problem is there is no spacing in the back and
    > there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??
    >
    > Here is the link and you'll see what I mean
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/aboveandbelow/flyinglinks.html

    That page is using only document.all and not document.getElementById
    that is required by the newer Mozilla family browsers including the
    latest versions of Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape. Hence the floating
    dhtml effect does not work on these browsers. However IE browsers from
    at least IE4 to IE6 support document.all and thus the effect can be
    seen, at least on IE6. But recent IE browsers also support
    document.getElementById, so this modern code should also work on IE6.
    Also the code worked for me on the most recent Opera browser which
    supports modern code, but also much old IE code including document.all.
    There could be other things in the code that will work only on IE
    browsers and Opera - I did not have time to check the code in detail.
    Be sure to remove all of the Angelfire ad code which is clearly marked
    in the source code. If you put your version back up on Angelfire, they
    will put more ads back in on a free account. If they still sell a pay
    account, it may be ad free. Getting this code to work well on a variety
    of browsers could require quite a bit of work.

    If you like these types of dynamic effects, you might find something
    you like just as well at www.dynamicdrive.com that will work on several
    browsers and that likely would require little effort to install on a
    page of your own.

    By the way, Angelfire is cookie city. I had Opera set to ask before
    accepting a cookie. I nearly wore my fingers out at Angelfire rejecting
    the cookies they attempted to set. I had to reject over 20 attempts,
    but they finally gave up. Also some popups were rejected. So clean out
    your cookies after visiting Angelfire. Tripod has much the same setup
    as Angelfire. Considering the amount of ad code including popups that
    Angelfire puts on free pages, this likely could slow things down quite
    a bit if you have a rather slow dialup connection.
    , Jan 1, 2006
  10. Stargazer

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Stargazer wrote:
    > > I'm currently redesigning my site and just came across this awsome
    > > flying link script only problem is there is no spacing in the back and
    > > there are banner adds in the back of it. How can I change this??
    > >
    > > Here is the link and you'll see what I mean
    > >
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/aboveandbelow/flyinglinks.html

    > That page is using only document.all and not document.getElementById
    > that is required by the newer Mozilla family browsers including the
    > latest versions of Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape. Hence the floating
    > dhtml effect does not work on these browsers. However IE browsers from
    > at least IE4 to IE6 support document.all and thus the effect can be
    > seen, at least on IE6. But recent IE browsers also support
    > document.getElementById, so this modern code should also work on IE6.
    > Also the code worked for me on the most recent Opera browser which
    > supports modern code, but also much old IE code including document.all.
    > There could be other things in the code that will work only on IE
    > browsers and Opera - I did not have time to check the code in detail.
    > Be sure to remove all of the Angelfire ad code which is clearly marked
    > in the source code. If you put your version back up on Angelfire, they
    > will put more ads back in on a free account. If they still sell a pay
    > account, it may be ad free. Getting this code to work well on a variety
    > of browsers could require quite a bit of work.
    >
    > If you like these types of dynamic effects, you might find something
    > you like just as well at www.dynamicdrive.com that will work on several
    > browsers and that likely would require little effort to install on a
    > page of your own.
    >
    > By the way, Angelfire is cookie city. I had Opera set to ask before
    > accepting a cookie. I nearly wore my fingers out at Angelfire rejecting
    > the cookies they attempted to set. I had to reject over 20 attempts,
    > but they finally gave up. Also some popups were rejected. So clean out
    > your cookies after visiting Angelfire. Tripod has much the same setup
    > as Angelfire. Considering the amount of ad code including popups that
    > Angelfire puts on free pages, this likely could slow things down quite
    > a bit if you have a rather slow dialup connection.

    In addition, I now find that they are attempting to consider Netscape
    browsers by using old-style browser detection:
    var isNS = (navigator.appName == "Netscape" &&
    parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4);
    This no longer is reliable since many browsers now spoof other
    browsers, often to keep from getting locked out by browser detection
    code on some sites.
    , Jan 1, 2006
  11. Stargazer

    Guest

    I get a 404 error when I try to access the link. Is anyone else having
    that problem or am I the only stupid one!
    , Jan 1, 2006