    Paolo Guest

    how do I know if a JTextField has the focus?
    thank to all

    Paolo, Sep 4, 2012

  2. Andreas Perstinger, Sep 4, 2012

  3. Re: How to tell people to ask questions the smart way

    On 05/09/2012 00:05, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Andreas Perstinger <> writes:
    >
    >> On 04.09.2012 11:34, Paolo wrote:
    >>> how do I know if a JTextField has the focus?
    >>> thank to all

    >> Look there:
    >> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

    > That is an unhelpful response. You aren't giving anything to help the
    > original poster improve their question. Moreover, it is rude and
    > dismissive, which doesn't belong in this forum.
    >
    > The “how to ask question the smart way†essay is not a blunt instrument
    > for beating people over the head with, and it is brutish to use it that
    > way. Instead, please point out *how* the original poster's question can
    > be improved.

    It is my opinion that the OP got exactly what they deserved, hence I
    entirely disagree with your response.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.

    Mark Lawrence, Sep 5, 2012
  4. Paolo

    rusi Guest

    On Sep 5, 4:27 am, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > On 05/09/2012 00:05, Ben Finney wrote:
    >

    > > Andreas Perstinger <> writes:

    > >> Look there:
    > >>http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

    > > That is an unhelpful response. You aren't giving anything to help the
    > > original poster improve their question. Moreover, it is rude and
    > > dismissive, which doesn't belong in this forum.

    > > The “how to ask question the smart way” essay is not a blunt instrument
    > > for beating people over the head with, and it is brutish to use it that
    > > way. Instead, please point out *how* the original poster's question can
    > > be improved.

    > It is my opinion that the OP got exactly what they deserved, hence I
    > entirely disagree with your response.

    As a impartial response to what is 'deserved' it is fine.
    However...
    If we did not make these dicta as a norm
    - return unkindness with less unkindness (said in strange terms of
    cheeks and coats etc)
    - Do unto others as you would have them etc

    we would be back in the jungle.

    In the context of mailing lists/fora hopefully one needs to
    distinguish new post-ers/members from habitual idiots?

    And if all this sounds over-Christian see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle
    Or more in line with python principles, the dilemma
    http://chrismdp.github.com/2012/02/on-coding-defensively/

    rusi, Sep 5, 2012
  5. Re: How to tell people to ask questions the smart way

    On 05.09.2012 01:05, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Andreas Perstinger <> writes:
    >
    >> On 04.09.2012 11:34, Paolo wrote:
    >> > how do I know if a JTextField has the focus?
    >> > thank to all

    >> Look there:
    >> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

    > That is an unhelpful response.

    So we have to agree to disagree.

    EOD.

    Bye, Andreas

    Andreas Perstinger, Sep 5, 2012
  6. Re: How to tell people to ask questions the smart way

    On 05/09/2012 08:00, Andreas Perstinger wrote:
    > On 05.09.2012 01:05, Ben Finney wrote:
    >> Andreas Perstinger <> writes:

    >>> Look there:
    >>> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

    >> That is an unhelpful response.

    > So we have to agree to disagree.
    >
    > EOD.
    >
    > Bye, Andreas

    Thinking about it your post was very unhelpful as I couldn't find
    anything about JTextField at the url you posted as seen above. Fancy
    wasting my time like that :)

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.