Font Problems: Never do this, but when you have no choice...

Kent Paul Dolan

As consequences of a lunched hard drive, I managed to switch
operating systems from MS-Dreck to Debian-flavor Linux, SimplyMEPIS
variant, and upgrade Java from 1.4.x to 1.5 at the very same time.

Don't do that if you have a choice, it hides the origin of new
problems.

Just naturally, I now have a mysterious problem out of a (huge)
Java toy application, and don't know where to point the finger
of blame.

An application, Traveller, formerly working silent of warnings,
now starts off with:
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
to type FontStruct

I'm fairly sure that fugly mess is arising from my calling out a
"SanSerif" font (the only other one called out is "monospaced"), and
I know what the words mean, but I don't know what the message
means, or why what was working now isn't (quite possibly that
was not the same default font for the generic font descriptor
"SanSerif" under MS-Dreck, which has some horrid default fonts,
so likely something has indeed changed), have no idea, since the
effort is in Sun's closed code for Java, what conversion is being
attempted or why it would not work for the offending string, and
am clueless how to make it not happen.

The two flavors of font invocation are very straight-forward,
they all look pretty much like this:
Font panelTitleFont = new Font("SansSerif",Font.BOLD,12);
Font ffont = new Font("monospaced",Font.PLAIN,10);

Any free clues how to make this warning go away?
As in, how do I specify a font that Java is going to be successful
at finding and whose specifier it can parse under Debian Linux?

xanthian, so much for "platform independent programming".