Font question

Huub

Hi,

I'm trying to get plain text printed in Courier font. When looking at
CPAN, I find about 39 modules for handling fonts, but none for plain
text. Is there a module for that? BTW, I used font+courier as a search
string in CPAN.

Thanks,

Huub

J. Gleixner

Huub said:
Hi,

I'm trying to get plain text printed in Courier font. When looking at
CPAN, I find about 39 modules for handling fonts, but none for plain
text. Is there a module for that? BTW, I used font+courier as a search
string in CPAN.

Where medium are you printing it to?

Brian McCauley

I'm trying to get plain text printed in Courier font. When looking at
CPAN, I find about 39 modules for handling fonts, but none for plain
text.

Plain text doesn't have a font. The only way you could associate a
fond with a plain text file would be by settings on your print job or
print queue or printer.

A J. Gleixner asked: Where medium are you printing it to?

And by what mechanism on what OS?

Huub

Plain text doesn't have a font. The only way you could associate a
fond with a plain text file would be by settings on your print job or
print queue or printer.

A J. Gleixner asked: Where medium are you printing it to?

And by what mechanism on what OS?

I'm using Fedora 6 and a Perl-script reading from MySQL printing plain
text to a DeskJet520.
If plain text doesn't have a font, then how can I set this printer to
print the correct font? It seems to use PCL5, but I haven't been able to
find a way to use that from Perl.

Thanks for helping.

Brian McCauley

I'm using Fedora 6 and a Perl-script reading from MySQL printing plain
text to a DeskJet520.
If plain text doesn't have a font, then how can I set this printer to
print the correct font? It seems to use PCL5, but I haven't been able to
find a way to use that from Perl.

Are you opening the printer directly as /dev/whatever or are you
sending the output via lpr? If you are using lpr then there are
probably switches you can use to specify the font to be used for pain
text.

I don't know which of the many lpr implementations available on Linux
Fedora will install by default.

If you are talking direct to /dev/whatever (or using lpr in raw mode)
I don't think there are any PCL modules as such in Perl but there's
nothing stopping you looking up the escape sequence in a PCL manual
and manually doing print("\e(s4099T") [1].

[1] That's untested. I just did a quick Google and glanced at the
following HP manuals:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13210/bpl13210.pdf
http://lprng.sourceforge.net/DISTRIB/RESOURCES/DOCS/pcl5comp.pdf

Huub

Are you opening the printer directly as /dev/whatever or are you
sending the output via lpr? If you are using lpr then there are
probably switches you can use to specify the font to be used for pain
text.

I don't know which of the many lpr implementations available on Linux
Fedora will install by default.

I'm opening the printer by using lpr.
If you are talking direct to /dev/whatever (or using lpr in raw mode)
I don't think there are any PCL modules as such in Perl but there's
nothing stopping you looking up the escape sequence in a PCL manual
and manually doing print("\e(s4099T") [1].

I found some escape-sequences in a PCL manual, but I found out that was
the wrong PCL version so that didn't work.

Thanks for the links. I'll try the manual print....