    string in CPAN.

    Thanks,

    Huub
    Huub, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Huub

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get plain text printed in Courier font. When looking at
    > CPAN, I find about 39 modules for handling fonts, but none for plain
    > text. Is there a module for that? BTW, I used font+courier as a search
    > string in CPAN.

    Where medium are you printing it to?
    J. Gleixner, Apr 27, 2007

  3. On Apr 27, 3:59 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    > I'm trying to get plain text printed in Courier font. When looking at
    > CPAN, I find about 39 modules for handling fonts, but none for plain
    > text.

    Plain text doesn't have a font. The only way you could associate a
    fond with a plain text file would be by settings on your print job or
    print queue or printer.

    A J. Gleixner asked: Where medium are you printing it to?

    And by what mechanism on what OS?
    Brian McCauley, Apr 27, 2007
  4. Huub

    Huub Guest

    > Plain text doesn't have a font. The only way you could associate a
    > fond with a plain text file would be by settings on your print job or
    > print queue or printer.
    >
    > A J. Gleixner asked: Where medium are you printing it to?
    >
    > And by what mechanism on what OS?

    I'm using Fedora 6 and a Perl-script reading from MySQL printing plain
    text to a DeskJet520.
    If plain text doesn't have a font, then how can I set this printer to
    print the correct font? It seems to use PCL5, but I haven't been able to
    find a way to use that from Perl.

    Thanks for helping.
    Huub, Apr 27, 2007
  5. On Apr 27, 7:28 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > Plain text doesn't have a font. The only way you could associate a
    > > fond with a plain text file would be by settings on your print job or
    > > print queue or printer.

    > > A J. Gleixner asked: Where medium are you printing it to?

    > > And by what mechanism on what OS?

    > I'm using Fedora 6 and a Perl-script reading from MySQL printing plain
    > text to a DeskJet520.
    > If plain text doesn't have a font, then how can I set this printer to
    > print the correct font? It seems to use PCL5, but I haven't been able to
    > find a way to use that from Perl.

    Are you opening the printer directly as /dev/whatever or are you
    sending the output via lpr? If you are using lpr then there are
    probably switches you can use to specify the font to be used for pain
    text.

    I don't know which of the many lpr implementations available on Linux
    Fedora will install by default.

    If you are talking direct to /dev/whatever (or using lpr in raw mode)
    I don't think there are any PCL modules as such in Perl but there's
    nothing stopping you looking up the escape sequence in a PCL manual
    and manually doing print("\e(s4099T") [1].

    [1] That's untested. I just did a quick Google and glanced at the
    following HP manuals:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13210/bpl13210.pdf
    http://lprng.sourceforge.net/DISTRIB/RESOURCES/DOCS/pcl5comp.pdf
    Brian McCauley, Apr 27, 2007
  6. Huub

    Huub Guest

    > Are you opening the printer directly as /dev/whatever or are you
    > sending the output via lpr? If you are using lpr then there are
    > probably switches you can use to specify the font to be used for pain
    > text.
    >
    > I don't know which of the many lpr implementations available on Linux
    > Fedora will install by default.

    I'm opening the printer by using lpr.

    > If you are talking direct to /dev/whatever (or using lpr in raw mode)
    > I don't think there are any PCL modules as such in Perl but there's
    > nothing stopping you looking up the escape sequence in a PCL manual
    > and manually doing print("\e(s4099T") [1].

    I found some escape-sequences in a PCL manual, but I found out that was
    the wrong PCL version so that didn't work.

    > [1] That's untested. I just did a quick Google and glanced at the
    > following HP manuals:
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13210/bpl13210.pdf
    > http://lprng.sourceforge.net/DISTRIB/RESOURCES/DOCS/pcl5comp.pdf

    Thanks for the links. I'll try the manual print....
    Huub, Apr 27, 2007