font style

Discussion in 'HTML' started by brucie, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. brucie

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    derrick <> said:

    > i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
    > but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
    > as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.

    install the font on her pc and in addition don't forget what i said in
    alt.html.tags

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Jul 4, 2004

  2. brucie

    derrick Guest

    i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
    but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
    as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
    please help

    derrick, Jul 4, 2004

  3. (derrick) wrote:

    > i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
    > but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
    > as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
    > please help

    What sort of help would you like?

    :)

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Jul 4, 2004
  4. brucie

    Neal Guest

    On 3 Jul 2004 22:06:37 -0700, derrick <> wrote:

    > i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
    > but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
    > as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
    > please help

    The font doesn't travel with your page. You suggest to the browser that
    this is the font you want to use, and if it's there the browser uses it.
    If it doesn't, it goes to a default.

    Don't use the font tag to do this - that way, you get one font choice or
    nothing. With a CSS font-family declaration, you can list as many fonts as
    you like. The browser starts at the top of the list and takes the first
    one it can find. You can even give as the last one serif or sans-serif and
    if it gets to that the browser chooses a default according to your wishes.

    I've simplified a bit. It gets much more complicated, but that's the gist
    of it.

    Neal, Jul 4, 2004
  5. brucie

    derrick Guest

    i tried uploading the font style but it wouldnt let me is there a way
    to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
    an image

    derrick, Jul 4, 2004
  6. brucie

    rf Guest

    derrick wrote

    > i tried uploading the font style

    I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

    > but it wouldnt let me

    What "wouldn't let" you?

    > is there a way
    > to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
    > an image

    Easy answer: no.

    Hard answer: yes,
    google for font embedding but you really don't want to do this. You first of
    all must have permission from the creator of the font. Then you have to do
    stuff to embed the font into your web page and *then* your viewer must be
    using a browser that supports all of this.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 4, 2004
  7. brucie

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, dutch85
    @hotmail.com says...
    > i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
    > but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
    > as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
    > please help

    The key part is "I downloaded a font" Your mom did not, nor has most
    of your other visitors. For a font to display THEY must download it
    too.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    The easiest and most affordable way

    Whitecrest, Jul 4, 2004
  8. brucie

    Hywel Guest

    In article <BaRFc.77874$>, rf
    says...
    > derrick wrote
    >
    > > i tried uploading the font style

    > I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.
    >
    > > but it wouldnt let me

    > What "wouldn't let" you?

    "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

    --
    Hywel

    Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

    Hywel, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Hywel wrote:

    > In article <BaRFc.77874$>, rf
    > says...

    >> derrick wrote

    >> > i tried uploading the font style

    >> I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

    >> > but it wouldnt let me

    >> What "wouldn't let" you?

    > "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

    I'll bet it's "they" who have all of the Any keys.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 4, 2004
  10. brucie

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Blinky the
    Shark says...
    > Hywel wrote:
    >
    > > In article <BaRFc.77874$>, rf
    > > says...

    > >> derrick wrote

    > >> I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

    > >> What "wouldn't let" you?

    > > "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

    > I'll bet it's "they" who have all of the Any keys.

    Now you mention it, I do believe you're correct. Damn them Any key
    thieves. Damn them all to a MS FrontPage seminar.

    Hywel, Jul 4, 2004
  11. brucie

    jake Guest

    In message <>, derrick
    <> writes
    >i tried uploading the font style but it wouldnt let me is there a way
    >to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
    >an image

    Derrick.

    You need to create a special 'downloadable font file' from your existing
    font (if that font will let you) using the WEFT program.

    As mentioned before, read this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm

    It will only work for IE users, but that's probably the majority of your
    viewers. Other users will just see one the other (alternative) fonts you
    suggest, or their own preferred font.

    As a matter of interest, what's the name of the font that you're
    interested in creating a downloadable version of?

    regards.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Jul 4, 2004
  12. brucie

    C A Upsdell Guest

    C A Upsdell, Jul 4, 2004
  13. brucie

    Neal Guest

    On 4 Jul 2004 03:32:39 -0700, derrick <> wrote:

    > i tried uploading the font style but it wouldnt let me is there a way
    > to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
    > an image

    Derrick - sounds like a great Adventurer name. Mighty Derrick slew the
    fearsome beast...

    Anyway, please quote a little of the previous post for context in the
    future, thanks. What part of my post are you replying to? Because this
    doesn't follow at all.

    There are ways of embedding fonts, sure. But they are overly complex and
    not at all suited to typical web use. Maybe you could explain more about
    what you're doing? There may be a better solution.

    Neal, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Hywel wrote:

    > In article <>, Blinky the
    > Shark says...

    >> Hywel wrote:

    >> > In article <BaRFc.77874$>, rf
    >> > says...

    >> > "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

    >> I'll bet it's "they" who have all of the Any keys.

    > Now you mention it, I do believe you're correct. Damn them Any key
    > thieves. Damn them all to a MS FrontPage seminar.

    That's pretty harsh, even for key swipers.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 4, 2004