Force download rather than view

tma

How can I force a file to be downloaded to the client when the click a link
button, rather than show the file in the browser window (or another window).
I want the user to be prompted to open or save the file associated with the
link, not have it open automatically in their browser.

Thanks.

George Durzi

Search for Response.AddHeader "content-disposition" on MSDN
I was just doing something like this

Joerg Jooss

Chandra said:
Even adding a header like no-cache will do.

Why should that work? Most web applications will deliver non-cacheable
content -- if a click on any old hyperlink would force a download, the web
app would hardly be usable...

George Durzi

How would you do the opposite? If I want to display a .txt file in the
browser ...

Doing a

Response.ClearContent()

Response.ClearHeaders()

Response.ContentType = "text/plain"

Response.WriteFile(sExportPath)

Response.Flush()

Response.Close()

still prompts you to download the .aspx file, even if sExportPath is
blahblah\something.text

Joerg Jooss

George said:
How would you do the opposite? If I want to display a .txt file in the
browser ...

Doing a

Response.ClearContent()

Response.ClearHeaders()

Response.ContentType = "text/plain"

Response.WriteFile(sExportPath)

Response.Flush()

Response.Close()

still prompts you to download the .aspx file, even if sExportPath is
blahblah\something.text

That's completely up to the client.

Guest

You can encourage the UA to display the file with something like
Response.Headers.Add("Content-disposition","inline; filename=whatever.txt")
(Untested, so I might have the formatting on the parameters off a tad.)