Force printing backgrounds

ian.hubling

I'm not sure if this is a javascript or a CSS issue... I'm looking for
a way to force the printing of a background image when a page is
printed.

I'm dealing with a couple of large corporate policy manuals. Some of
the material is archived. The archived pages have watermarks to
visually identify them as outdated material. However, if the user has
printing of background images turned off, how can I override this?
This is also a problem with our navigation bar that depends on a dark
background image.

Is this possible? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 7/26/2006 3:31 PM:
I'm not sure if this is a javascript or a CSS issue... I'm looking for
a way to force the printing of a background image when a page is
printed.

I'm dealing with a couple of large corporate policy manuals. Some of
the material is archived. The archived pages have watermarks to
visually identify them as outdated material. However, if the user has
printing of background images turned off, how can I override this?

So, your question is really "How do I over-ride user preferences?" And
the answer is simple - you don't.
This is also a problem with our navigation bar that depends on a dark
background image.

Is this possible? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not in any type of security environment at all.

You could try using CSS to absolutely position the image as a true image
instead of the background.