forcing Explorer not to cache javascript code.

kaston3

I use screen.width to check escreen resolution and then document.write
to write different width tables accordingly. It all works OK with
Mozilla Firefox, however it seems that in IExplorer it only works when
I reload the page. I think it can be cache handling in IE.

I tried putting the javascript code in an extrenal js.file. Then i
tried calling that file with a random number (using time functions) eg.
mycode.js?nn=secondss; but it doesn't work either.

The page is rather heavy so I am only interested in the javascript not
being cached.

Is there a solution for this?
Thanks

Randy Webb

kaston3 said the following on 7/14/2006 5:46 PM:
I use screen.width to check escreen resolution and then document.write
to write different width tables accordingly.

I'm sorry. Why are you using unreliable antiquated methods to create
your pages?

It all works OK with Mozilla Firefox, however it seems that in
IExplorer it only works when I reload the page. I think it can
be cache handling in IE.

It's possible, but highly unlikely.
I tried putting the javascript code in an extrenal js.file. Then i
tried calling that file with a random number (using time functions) eg.
mycode.js?nn=secondss; but it doesn't work either.

What does "doesn't work" mean?
The page is rather heavy so I am only interested in the javascript not
being cached.

Is there a solution for this?

Maybe, depending on what the problem is.

Why doesn't my dishwasher work? No, you can't see it, just guess and
tell me what's wrong with it.

Post a URL to a sample page that shows the behavior.

kaston3

Yes, You are right about the dishwasher that you can't see to repair.
Sorry :)

http://www.educationprojects.net/index9.php

The problem is with the background image (light blue color is actually
an image) on the left and the flash slideshow on the right.

When you first load the page it seems there's no problem aside from
some error (object not found), no related to the tables.

But when you load it again or at random times the cells for image
(left) and flash (right) are not displayed correctly being displaced
further left and right respectively and leaving a space in the middle.

This problem doesn't happen with Firefox.

Thanks.

kaston3

Ok, to reproduce the problem.

Go to www.educationprojects.net/index9.php

Everything seems ok but now put the mouse cursor in the bowser url box
and press enter to load the page again. The cells are displaced to the
sides leaving a space in the middle.

I use IE 7 beta but the same occurs in IE 6

Thanks.