  1. I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I essentially neversee the html it produces because there is no need to. Now, I'm trying to add a small block of static text on to a page in their WTSWIG editor in an HTML Area. I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay). My problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the right side of he page where I put it.

    I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath what I want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but I'm wondering there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table or the like stay over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area". Any suggestions? I can'ttweak the other HTML that is there now. Every time I touch it or it gets moved to a test or production server, the page is analyzed and the HTML is built again. Thanks.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Mar 8, 2013

  2. On 2013-03-08, OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft,
    > a huge bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I
    > essentially never see the html it produces because there is no need
    > to. Now, I'm trying to add a small block of static text on to a page
    > in their WTSWIG editor in an HTML Area.

    WTSWIG? Do you mean WYSIWYG?

    You have probably discovered why everyone recommends not using a
    WYSIWYG editor.

    > I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay).

    What if the viewer's font size is too big and the text will not fit
    without wrapping?

    > My problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the
    > right side of he page where I put it.
    >
    > I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath
    > what I want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but
    > I'm wondering there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table
    > or the like stay over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area".

    How about 'style="float: right;"'?

    > Any suggestions? I can't tweak the other HTML that is there now.
    > Every time I touch it or it gets moved to a test or production
    > server, the page is analyzed and the HTML is built again. Thanks.

    Without seeing the HTML/CSS it's impossible to say more.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    <http://torontowebdesign.cfaj.ca/>
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Mar 8, 2013

  3. OccasionalFlyer

    123Jim Guest

    On 08/03/2013 04:30, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
    > I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I essentially never see the html it produces because there is no need to. Now, I'm trying to add a small block of static text on to a page in their WTSWIG editor in an HTML Area. I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay). My problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the right side of he page where I put it.
    >
    > I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath what I want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but I'm wondering there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table or the like stay over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area". Any suggestions? I can't tweak the other HTML that is there now. Every time I touch it or it gets moved to a test or production server, the page is analyzed and the HTML is built again. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; position: relative;
    font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">text
    here</div>

    The above inline style floats the <div> container to the right.

    See here: http://htmldog.com/ and
    here:http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp for help on css and html
    123Jim, Mar 8, 2013
  4. OccasionalFlyer

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    > I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge
    > bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I essentially never
    > see the html it produces because there is no need to. Now, I'm trying to
    > add a small block of static text on to a page in their WTSWIG editor in an
    > HTML Area. I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay). My
    > problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the right side
    > of he page where I put it.
    >
    > I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath what I
    > want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but I'm wondering
    > there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table or the like stay
    > over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area". Any suggestions? I
    > can't tweak the other HTML that is there now. Every time I touch it or it
    > gets moved to a test or production server, the page is analyzed and the
    > HTML is built again. Thanks.

    You can't get 6 lines if a user has a different text size to you. If
    it was not for the six lines requirement, you could give a width to
    the block of text perhaps in percentages to take up a known part of
    the page, and then float the block right:

    Test in various browsers and experiment using various tactical text
    sizes in the browser (like for example, in Firefox using Text Only
    Zoom, to see if that will do you.

    If you really have to have six lines, it is simple, just make an image
    of text and float it right. Make the text reasonably big to satisfy
    people not as well sighted as you, make the image high quality so that
    it will zoom up a bit and clearly enough.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 8, 2013
  5. On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 19:23:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:
    > OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:
    >
    >> I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge
    >> bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I essentially never
    >> see the html it produces because there is no need to. Now, I'm trying to
    >> add a small block of static text on to a page in their WTSWIG editor in an
    >> HTML Area. I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay). My
    >> problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the right side
    >> of he page where I put it.
    >>
    >> I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath what I
    >> want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but I'm wondering
    >> there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table or the like stay
    >> over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area". Any suggestions? I
    >> can't tweak the other HTML that is there now. Every time I touch it or it
    >> gets moved to a test or production server, the page is analyzed and the
    >> HTML is built again. Thanks.
    >>

    > You can't get 6 lines if a user has a different text size to you. If
    > it was not for the six lines requirement, you could give a width to
    > the block of text perhaps in percentages to take up a known part of
    > the page, and then float the block right:

    Heh... Capture the six lines of _static_ text in a PNG.
    Float _that_ to the right...

    Jonesy - w/tongue in cheek
    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 8, 2013
  6. OccasionalFlyer

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    >> I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge
    >> bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me. I essentially never
    >> see the html it produces because there is no need to. Now, I'm trying to
    >> add a small block of static text on to a page in their WTSWIG editor in an
    >> HTML Area. I need to have six lines of text (wrapping is not okay). My
    >> problem is that I cannot seem to get the "area" to stay on the right side
    >> of he page where I put it.
    >>
    >> I tried <p align="right"> but the text still shows up underneath what I
    >> want it to be to the right of. I am not sure what to do but I'm wondering
    >> there is a way to force a paragraph or one-cell table or the like stay
    >> over on the right where I dragged the "JTML area". Any suggestions? I
    >> can't tweak the other HTML that is there now. Every time I touch it or it
    >> gets moved to a test or production server, the page is analyzed and the
    >> HTML is built again. Thanks.
    >>

    > You can't get 6 lines if a user has a different text size to you.

    Of course you can. First off, this is PeopleSoft, a huge bloat owned by
    Oracle. I think the OP can be confident of knowing the users setup.

    Second, he can specify the font choice, style, size, weight, etc.

    > If
    > it was not for the six lines requirement, you could give a width to
    > the block of text perhaps in percentages to take up a known part of
    > the page, and then float the block right:

    line1<br>
    line2<br>
    line3<br>
    line4<br>
    line5<br>
    line6 is a lot longer than the other lines

    > If you really have to have six lines, it is simple, just make an image
    > of text and float it right. Make the text reasonably big to satisfy
    > people not as well sighted as you, make the image high quality so that
    > it will zoom up a bit and clearly enough.

    Well, that would be the worst possible solution, but it is a solution.

    --
    Once again I teeter at the precipice of the generation gap.
    Lewis, Mar 8, 2013
  7. OccasionalFlyer

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:

    > Heh... Capture the six lines of _static_ text in a PNG.
    > Float _that_ to the right...

    You replied to the wrong bit of the post.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 8, 2013
  8. On 2013-03-08, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <>
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    >>> I normally develop (alas) in the environment provided by PeopleSoft, a huge
    >>> bloatware thing that generates HTM and such for me.

    >> You can't get 6 lines if a user has a different text size to you.

    > Of course you can. First off, this is PeopleSoft, a huge bloat owned by
    > Oracle. I think the OP can be confident of knowing the users setup.

    Does any company only hire people with perfect vision? Who all
    sit at the same distance from the monitor? Who are never bleary
    eyed? Who all use the same font-size for comfortable reading?

    > Second, he can specify the font choice, style, size, weight, etc.

    And the user can override them, particularly font size.

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Mar 9, 2013
  9. OccasionalFlyer

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Chris F.A. Johnson <> wrote:
    > On 2013-03-08, Lewis wrote:
    >> In message <>
    >> dorayme <> wrote:

    >>> You can't get 6 lines if a user has a different text size to you.

    >> Of course you can. First off, this is PeopleSoft, a huge bloat owned by
    >> Oracle. I think the OP can be confident of knowing the users setup.

    > Does any company only hire people with perfect vision? Who all
    > sit at the same distance from the monitor? Who are never bleary
    > eyed? Who all use the same font-size for comfortable reading?

    No, but many companies have computers with settings that cannot be
    changed.

    >> Second, he can specify the font choice, style, size, weight, etc.

    > And the user can override them, particularly font size.

    In many cases, it is quite difficult to do that, and maybe impossible.

    --
    "There's nothin' wrong with bein' a son of a bitch." -- Gaspode the
    Wonder Dog
    Lewis, Mar 9, 2013