    maxlength="200">

    It just shows up as a long line to input text. How can I have it scroll
    about 5 horizontal lines rather than just a one line box?
    Bryce, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks, Oct 31, 2003

  3. "Bryce" <> wrote:

    > <input type="text" name="Comments_or_Questions" size="40"
    > maxlength="200">

    Why is it in a lonely table cell? If you use a table to structure a form,
    you need some more markup. But usually you don't need a table for that.

    > It just shows up as a long line to input text.

    Works as designed.

    > How can I have it scroll
    > about 5 horizontal lines rather than just a one line box?

    rows="5" cols="40"></textarea></div>

    The answer to the anticipated question "but how do I limit the amount of
    data to 200 characters?" is "you don't, you just need to deal with that in
    the form handler". More on this:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/textarea.html
    Besides, people who want to send more than 200 characters long questions are
    probably people that you should serve especially well, instead of limiting
    the amount of data. Of course, some of them might actually be nasty robots
    (or people) who send your form handler a gigabyte of junk. So you need
    _some_ checking in the form handler, but the limit should be of some other
    order of magnitude than 200 characters.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 1, 2003