Form mailto and diacritical marks ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dado, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Dado

    Dado Guest

    With next form I get mail to send, but in a mail I got wrong encoding for
    Croatian diacritical marks "ŠÐÈÆŽ".
    In a page properties I set Central European (windows) and a rest of page
    shows fine. What I need to change to get encoding correctly also in a mail
    which form send to me.

    <CENTER>
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="mailto:someone@$nailmail.com"
    ENCTYPE="text/plain">
    <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="username"> : name <BR>
    <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="email"> : email <BR>
    comments <BR>
    <TEXTAREA NAME="COMMENTS" ROWS="10" WRAP="hard">
    </TEXTAREA>
    <INPUT NAME="redirect" TYPE="hidden" VALUE="index.html">
    <INPUT NAME="NEXT_URL" TYPE="hidden" VALUE="index.html">
    <BR>
    <INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Send">
    <INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear">
    </FORM>
    </CENTER>
    <!-- END OF FORM -->

    Kako rjesiti problem?

    p.s.
    this
    <INPUT NAME="redirect" TYPE="hidden" VALUE="index.html">

    also doesn't work. If you know the reason I would like to answer me.

    Dado, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Dado

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <e7g0m2$rki$-com.hr>, Dado <>
    writes
    >With next form I get mail to send, but in a mail I got wrong encoding for
    >Croatian diacritical marks "Å ÃÈÆŽ".
    >In a page properties I set Central European (windows) and a rest of page
    >shows fine. What I need to change to get encoding correctly also in a mail
    >which form send to me.
    >
    ><CENTER>
    ><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="mailto:someone@$nailmail.com"
    >ENCTYPE="text/plain">

    This method of sending a form uses the default email software on the
    client's machine. Some may not have their email software configured to
    send special characters such as the ones you mentioned.

    This method of receiving information from a form is quite unreliable,
    anyway. :(

    You need to 'POST' the form to a scrip on YOUR server so that you can
    deal with these special characters.

    >p.s.
    >this
    ><INPUT NAME="redirect" TYPE="hidden" VALUE="index.html">
    >
    >also doesn't work. If you know the reason I would like to answer me.

    That is a hidden field included in the form. It can tell the script
    that handles the form what page to redirect the web browser to.

    But as you're not using a server side script to process form data this
    field is ignored.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Dado

    Dado Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
    grupi:42ybUVMTn$...
    > In message <e7g0m2$rki$-com.hr>, Dado <>
    > writes
    >>With next form I get mail to send, but in a mail I got wrong encoding for
    >>Croatian diacritical marks "Å ÃÈÆŽ".
    >>In a page properties I set Central European (windows) and a rest of page
    >>shows fine. What I need to change to get encoding correctly also in a mail
    >>which form send to me.
    >>
    >><CENTER>
    >><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="mailto:someone@$nailmail.com"
    >>ENCTYPE="text/plain">

    > This method of sending a form uses the default email software on the
    > client's machine. Some may not have their email software configured to
    > send special characters such as the ones you mentioned.
    >
    > This method of receiving information from a form is quite unreliable,
    > anyway. :(
    >
    > You need to 'POST' the form to a scrip on YOUR server so that you can deal
    > with these special characters.
    >
    >>p.s.
    >>this
    >><INPUT NAME="redirect" TYPE="hidden" VALUE="index.html">
    >>
    >>also doesn't work. If you know the reason I would like to answer me.

    > That is a hidden field included in the form. It can tell the script that
    > handles the form what page to redirect the web browser to.
    >
    > But as you're not using a server side script to process form data this
    > field is ignored.
    > --
    > Martin Jay
    > Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
    > Fax: +44 870 915 2124

    I only need a form for an ordering a license for my application. And it is a
    test on a free host on a myjavaserver.
    So what example you suggest? Simply and which will work on that server.

    Dado, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Dado

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <e7hd6g$aeg$-com.hr>, Dado <>
    writes

    >I only need a form for an ordering a license for my application. And it is a
    >test on a free host on a myjavaserver.
    >So what example you suggest? Simply and which will work on that server.

    Is that at this place: <http://www.myjavaserver.com/>? I couldn't find
    any information there about what they offer. Presumably it's quite a
    basic service, which may not offer script hosting.

    Fortunately there are plenty of places that do:
    <http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/>
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Dado

    Dado Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
    grupi:...
    > In message <e7hd6g$aeg$-com.hr>, Dado <>
    > writes
    >
    >>I only need a form for an ordering a license for my application. And it is
    >>test on a free host on a myjavaserver.
    >>So what example you suggest? Simply and which will work on that server.

    > Is that at this place: <http://www.myjavaserver.com/>? I couldn't find
    > any information there about what they offer. Presumably it's quite a
    > basic service, which may not offer script hosting.
    >
    > Fortunately there are plenty of places that do:
    > <http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/>
    > --
    > Martin Jay
    > Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
    > Fax: +44 870 915 2124

    I choose myjavaserver for testing because I need a Java web starter,
    although it gives me only 5MB of space. So, I was thinking, why you can't
    suggest me some client side script language like javascript ?

    Dado, Jun 24, 2006
  6. Dado

    jojo Guest

    Dado schrieb:

    >>> I only need a form for an ordering a license for my application. And it is
    >>> a test on a free host on a myjavaserver.
    >>> So what example you suggest? Simply and which will work on that server.
    >>>

    >> Is that at this place: <http://www.myjavaserver.com/>? I couldn't find
    >> any information there about what they offer. Presumably it's quite a
    >> basic service, which may not offer script hosting.
    >>
    >> Fortunately there are plenty of places that do:
    >> <http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/>

    > I choose myjavaserver for testing because I need a Java web starter,
    > although it gives me only 5MB of space. So, I was thinking, why you can't
    > suggest me some client side script language like javascript ?

    I suppose he had not given you one because you can *not* transfer any
    data to a server-side mail-application with a client side script...
    And if you do not any client-side script you can only use client-side
    mail, so its the same as the "mailto:"-link...

    jojo, Jun 25, 2006