form with two buttons

walterbyrd

I want a simple form, but with two buttons: login and logout. I
understand that I can do this by placing a form within a form.

Here is what I have. It looks okay, but the logout button is just like
pressing the login button.

valign="center" cellpadding="10%">
<form action="authenticate.php" method=POST>
Username:<br>
<input type="text" name="username">
Password:<br>
<input type="password" name="password">
<input type="submit" value="Log In">
<form>
<input type="button" value="Log Out"
onclick="http://localhost/WMS/logout.php">
</form>
</form>

I have also tried:

<form action="logout.php">
<input type="submit" value="Log Out">
</form>

But that does not work either.

rwap

I want a simple form, but with two buttons: login and logout. I
understand that I can do this by placing a form within a form.

Here is what I have. It looks okay, but the logout button is just like
pressing the login button.

valign="center" cellpadding="10%">
<form action="authenticate.php" method=POST>
Username:<br>
<input type="text" name="username">
Password:<br>
<input type="password" name="password">
<input type="submit" value="Log In">
<form>
<input type="button" value="Log Out"
onclick="http://localhost/WMS/logout.php">
</form>
</form>

I have also tried:

<form action="logout.php">
<input type="submit" value="Log Out">
</form>

But that does not work either.

I have done something similar to this in Perl - the answer is to use
the one script (PHP or Perl) and not two - the script should then check
the value passed to it when called - ie looks for value="Log Out" or
value="Log In"

Rich Mellor
www.internetbusinessangels.com

Harlan Messinger

I want a simple form, but with two buttons: login and logout. I
understand that I can do this by placing a form within a form.

You understand incorrectly. A form cannot contain another form.

Use a single form. Give the two buttons different name attributes. In
the page that the form submits to, find out which of the two names has a
non-blank value embedded in the request, and go on from there.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
I want a simple form, but with two buttons: login and logout. I
understand that I can do this by placing a form within a form.

No, you cannot nest forms. Further, what is the point of having a Login
AND a Logout button? If the person is already logged in, why would they
need a login button, and if a person is _not_ logged in, why would they
need a logout button?

Best thing to do is test on the server if the person is logged in, and show
the appropriate button.