Format a list into multiple columns, or dynamically display columnsusing CSS?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steve, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to get
    the right combination of words to get a hit.

    I'm looking to do one of two things...

    1) Take a list of items, and have them display in a table format, but
    without any predetermined number of columns. Meaning that somehow using
    CSS tell the browser to determine the amount of screen space available,
    and then adjust the list items into an appropriate number of columns,
    all lined up nice and pretty.

    2) Similar to #1, take a list of items, and display them in a
    predetermined number of columns.

    If this is a FAQ, or documented in the CSS spec, please just point me to
    the proper links and I'll take care of the rest of the reading myself.

    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Re: Format a list into multiple columns, or dynamically display columns using CSS?

    Steve <> wrote:

    > I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to
    > get the right combination of words to get a hit.

    Well, you seem have managed to miss something - and you are multiposting.
    I just commented in c.i.w.a.h.

    Please read http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html to
    understand why multiposting is _bad_.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Steve

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: Format a list into multiple columns, or dynamically display columns using CSS?

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:30:35 -0700, Steve <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > 1) Take a list of items, and have them display in a table format, but
    > without any predetermined number of columns. Meaning that somehow using
    > CSS tell the browser to determine the amount of screen space available,
    > and then adjust the list items into an appropriate number of columns,
    > all lined up nice and pretty.

    float: left;

    > 2) Similar to #1, take a list of items, and display them in a
    > predetermined number of columns.

    Much nicer to let it flow - you have no way of knowing how many will fit
    across my screen.

    Anyway, use float as above, then you could put a <div> around each x
    items, or clear: left; on the one you want first on each line. Bit
    awkward either way. #1 would be better anyway. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 20, 2004