    I'm very grateful for help!

    // S
    , Jan 9, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm populating a label with an amount like this:
    >
    > lblBudget.Text = Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    > ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")
    >
    > I want the amount in the label to be shown as "10.000" not "10000".
    > How can I format the amount?

    I'm presuming that . is the thousand separator for the culture you're
    using...

    lblBudget.Text =
    Convert.ToDecimal(Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")).ToString("#.##0")

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jan 9, 2008

    On 9 Jan, 15:02, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > I'm populating a label with an amount like this:

    > > lblBudget.Text = Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    > > ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")

    > > I want the amount in the label to be shown as "10.000" not "10000".
    > > How can I format the amount?

    > I'm presuming that . is the thousand separator for the culture you're
    > using...
    >
    > lblBudget.Text =
    > Convert.ToDecimal(Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    > ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")).ToString("#.##0")
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

    Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I receive error message: "Input
    string was not in a correct format".

    (Yes, "." is the thousand separator).

    // S
    , Jan 10, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message

    >> lblBudget.Text =
    >> Convert.ToDecimal(Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    >> ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")).ToString("#.##0")

    > Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I receive error message: "Input
    > string was not in a correct format".

    What datatype does GetValue return...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jan 10, 2008

    On 10 Jan, 15:34, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >> lblBudget.Text =
    > >> Convert.ToDecimal(Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    > >> ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")).ToString("#.##0")

    > > Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I receive error message: "Input
    > > string was not in a correct format".

    > What datatype does GetValue return...?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

    It returns a string and it looks like this:

    Shared Function GetValue(ByVal strSP As String)
    Dim myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
    Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(strSP, myConnection)
    myConnection.Open()
    Dim strValue As String = myCommand.ExecuteScalar().ToString()
    myConnection.Close()

    Return strValue
    End Function

    // S
    , Jan 10, 2008
  6. <> wrote in message

    > On 10 Jan, 15:34, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I receive error message: "Input
    >> > string was not in a correct format".

    >> What datatype does GetValue return...?

    > It returns a string and it looks like this:
    >
    > Shared Function GetValue(ByVal strSP As String)
    > Dim myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
    > Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(strSP, myConnection)
    > myConnection.Open()
    > Dim strValue As String = myCommand.ExecuteScalar().ToString()
    > myConnection.Close()
    >
    > Return strValue
    > End Function

    OK, then. Please try the following and tell me where it fails:

    Dim strGetValue As String
    strGetValue = Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")
    Dim decValue As Decimal
    decValue = Convert.ToDecimal(strGetValue)
    lblBudget.Text = decValue.ToString("#.##0")

    BTW, you should really put some exception handling in your function or, at
    the very least, use the Using syntax... As it stands, any error in the
    ExecuteScaler line is liable to leave your connection open...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jan 10, 2008

    On 10 Jan, 17:10, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On 10 Jan, 15:34, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> What datatype does GetValue return...?

    > > It returns a string and it looks like this:

    > > Shared Function GetValue(ByVal strSP As String)
    > >        Dim myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
    > >        Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(strSP, myConnection)
    > >        myConnection.Open()
    > >        Dim strValue As String = myCommand.ExecuteScalar().ToString()
    > >        myConnection.Close()

    > >        Return strValue
    > > End Function

    > OK, then. Please try the following and tell me where it fails:
    >
    > Dim strGetValue As String
    > strGetValue = Generic_database_functions.GetValue("SELECT
    > ISNULL(Sum(Budget), 0) FROM vwPROJECTForecast")
    > Dim decValue As Decimal
    > decValue = Convert.ToDecimal(strGetValue)
    > lblBudget.Text = decValue.ToString("#.##0")
    >
    > BTW, you should really put some exception handling in your function or, at
    > the very least, use the Using syntax... As it stands, any error in the
    > ExecuteScaler line is liable to leave your connection open...
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net- Dölj citerad text -
    >
    > - Visa citerad text -

    The problem is solved! Your code was completely correct and it was a
    formula with additions containing the converted variables that caused
    the error. Thank you for the help!

    / S
    , Jan 10, 2008
  8. <> wrote in message
    On 10 Jan, 17:10, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:

    > The problem is solved! Your code was completely correct and it was a
    > formula with additions containing the converted variables that caused
    > the error. Thank you for the help!

    Phew! Thought I was going crazy for a second... :)

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Jan 10, 2008