forms/email/capturing info from a form?

Drew Kellas

Hi all!

OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts. I have been asked to
create a registration form for a club page on the web. I have been
able to create my input boxes and am now trying to find a way to get
the material entered in the boxes to populate an email to myself.
Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
it.

Can anyone help me out here?

Chris Smith

Drew said:
OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts.

Okay. You should start by realizing that there are two completely
different languages: one called Java and one called JavaScript. They
have very little in common, aside from similar names and a superficially
similar syntax. The languages really couldn't be more different once
you start getting to know them.
I have been asked to
create a registration form for a club page on the web. I have been
able to create my input boxes and am now trying to find a way to get
the material entered in the boxes to populate an email to myself.
Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
it.

What you've asked is more likely to be doable with Java than with
JavaScript. It will depend, though, on what tools are available on the
web server to implement this. Do you have control over the web server,
to install new software? Is it running a servlet container, or just a
plain web server?

If Java is not possible because the server lacks the proper software,
then you might try Perl, which is more universally supported by web
hosting companies.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jose Rubio

Given your lack of knowledge about handling forms and CGI kind of
interactions, I suggest that you visit websites like
http://www.resourceindex.com/ and download perl or php scripts that already
do what you want. That way you can learn by example.

Jose

nos

what you ask is perfectly reasonable and easy to do
with javascript - i have done it before but forget the details
exactly - what you need to use is mailto:abc@xyz in the form's "action"
and to use "method=post"

Chris Smith

nos said:
what you ask is perfectly reasonable and easy to do
with javascript - i have done it before but forget the details
exactly - what you need to use is mailto:abc@xyz in the form's "action"
and to use "method=post"

Huh? I don't see any JavaScript there. Regardless, that would
certainly not accomplish sending the email without intervention by the
registrant.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jose Rubio

Chris Smith said:
Huh? I don't see any JavaScript there. Regardless, that would
certainly not accomplish sending the email without intervention by the
registrant.

Right on!! that's all HTML. Most browsers will display a warning saying the
form is going to be sent in an email. That alone will scare away users from
filling out the form.