    software savvy?

    Thanks,

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, May 29, 2009

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Helpful person <>
    writing in news:11530a99-0c1f-4aad-a395-caa3a1feaa97
    @n19g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

    > I have at last understood how to write a reasonable web site (at least
    > to my standards). I would like to learn how to set up a page using
    > forms to allow direct input into a database (or excel) file. I have
    > almost zero knowledge of databases but am proficient at excel,
    > including VBA.

    Never allow data from a client directly into a database. Always validate
    the data on the server. Read up on SQL Injection and its prevention.

    > Can someone recommend any books or good on line resources (starting
    > from a fairly simple level) that will allow me to write useable
    > forms? I have no problems with the HTML /CSS but need to learn how to
    > recover the data. It is important for me to understand which methods
    > are "good practice" and which are not. Will I need to learn a server
    > side scripting language, and if so, which is most universal and
    > suitable for this task?

    You will definately need to learn a server side language. If you already
    know VBA, Classic ASP might be a good starting point, or you could go
    directly to another. PHP is a good server side language, and pretty easy
    to learn.

    If you have no knowledge of databases either, then you will also want to
    learn SQL - datebases differ but you should be okay once you know the
    core language.

    Although the HTML at W3Schools leaves a lot to be desired, their lessons
    on server side languages are enough to get your feet wet.

    > How difficult a task is this for someone who is generally computer and
    > software savvy?

    It's a never ending journey, there is always something new to learn.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, May 29, 2009

  3. Helpful person

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Helpful person wrote :
    > I have at last understood how to write a reasonable web site (at least
    > to my standards). I would like to learn how to set up a page using
    > forms to allow direct input into a database (or excel) file. I have
    > almost zero knowledge of databases but am proficient at excel,
    > including VBA.
    >
    > Can someone recommend any books or good on line resources (starting
    > from a fairly simple level) that will allow me to write useable
    > forms? I have no problems with the HTML /CSS but need to learn how to
    > recover the data. It is important for me to understand which methods
    > are "good practice" and which are not. Will I need to learn a server
    > side scripting language, and if so, which is most universal and
    > suitable for this task?

    The combination of PHP and MySQL is a good choice. A book like 'PHP and
    MySQL for starters' will give all the necessary information.
    Or have a look at http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql for an
    introduction.
    To install PHP, MySQL, Apache etc on your PC, try a package like Xammp:
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

    > How difficult a task is this for someone who is generally computer and
    > software savvy?

    If you have experience with VBA , programming in PHP/MySQL shouldn't be a
    problem.
    Before starting you should read something about database design. For example
    articles like http://www.plop68.nl/ebooks/weblinux/sql/ch02_01.htm

    Good luck!

    --
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, May 29, 2009
  4. Thanks for all the replys. It seems that I should learn sql and php.
    This is probably too much of a task for me right now. I think I'll
    start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, May 30, 2009
  5. Helpful person

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Helpful person <> wrote:

    > I think I'll
    > start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

    I looked at some of the Enid Blyton books I used to read recently. I
    can't understand how I could have read The Famous Five or The Secret
    Seven. Ever. But I can easily understand how I could have read about
    Noddy and Big Ears though. As for Biggles, well I can still read Biggles
    and not be ashamed for myself.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 30, 2009
  6. On May 29, 11:43 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >  Helpful person <> wrote:
    >
    > > I think I'll
    > > start with some easy reading and see how I progress.

    > I looked at some of the Enid Blyton books I used to read recently. I
    > can't understand how I could have read The Famous Five or The Secret
    > Seven. Ever. But I can easily understand how I could have read about
    > Noddy and Big Ears though. As for Biggles, well I can still read Biggles
    > and not be ashamed for myself.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Same books that I used to read. However, Enid Blyton's Noddy would
    now be considered politically incorrect today. (Remember Robertson's
    jams?)

    www.richardfisher.com

    Helpful person, May 30, 2009
  7. Helpful person