FormsAuthentication and Local Intranet Zone

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by C. Moya, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. C. Moya

    C. Moya Guest

    I'm a bit stumped by this one: It seems that when I connect to my
    application using the server's intranet name (http://intranetserver/MyApp/)
    FormsAuthentication kicks back the user to the Login page after I call
    RedirectFromLoginPage. It works fine if I access the server by IP address
    (http://xx.xx.xx.xx) and if I access the server over its public domain name
    (http://www.myserver.com).

    Why is this happening?
    I have IIS set to Anonymous Auth. Windows Auth is disabled. My web.config
    auth section looks like this
    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name=".MyAppAuth" loginUrl="Logon.aspx"/>
    </authentication>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?"/>
    </authorization>

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com
    C. Moya, Apr 8, 2007

  2. C. Moya

    C. Moya Guest

    Believe it or not, we've discovered this is caused by underscores in the
    server's name. (http://our_dev_server). We changed the underscores to
    dashes, and everything now works.

    I think this is a known issue going back to ASP.Classic(?). Not sure.

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com

    C. Moya, Apr 10, 2007

  3. C. Moya

    C. Moya Guest

    And here's a link that explains the problem:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ObscureBugASPNETDoesntHandleCookiesWithNonstandardServerNames.aspx

    C. Moya, Apr 10, 2007