Forums for aspfaq.com

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 1, 2004.

  1. What do you think about having discussion forums on aspfaq.com?

    (a) Would you use them? Not as an alternative to these groups, but as
    another place to discuss issues?

    (b) Would your answer to (a) change if you had to register (for maintenance
    and lock-out/abuse purposes)?

    (c) Do you have any preference as to how the site could be self-sufficient?
    e.g. would you be willing to pay a lifetime membership fee, or put up with
    banners, or ... other ideas ...? I know there are free venues out there,
    and nobody likes to pay for anything, but I also know that people will pay
    (or put up with advertising) for useful information and/or a more usable
    interface.

    I'm building a forums module for another project, and it has been an
    often-requested feature for my own site. However, the bandwidth and
    database usage comes at a price, and I don't think I could justify footing
    the bill out-of-pocket (since the site itself derives $0 in revenue). I
    would certainly consider making the service cost- and banner-free if I can
    get any suggestions on how to make the site support itself.

    Thanks for any input,
    Aaron

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 1, 2004

  2. Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

    Steven Burn Guest

    Aaron,
    I know this is probably of no help but, I'd be more than happy to host a
    forum for you........?

    As for registering, with my experience of forums over the past couple of
    years I'd have to say, registration is a must as otherwise, it's left way
    too wide open to abuse.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:55:04 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >What do you think about having discussion forums on aspfaq.com?
    >
    >(a) Would you use them? Not as an alternative to these groups, but as
    >another place to discuss issues?

    Unlikely. Too many groups to keep track of, I'd use one, and I hate
    online forum interfaces. Of course, if you designed a better forum...
    :)

    >(b) Would your answer to (a) change if you had to register (for maintenance
    >and lock-out/abuse purposes)?

    No. But I wouldn't mind registering if I had chosen the opposite of
    my answer.

    >(c) Do you have any preference as to how the site could be self-sufficient?
    >e.g. would you be willing to pay a lifetime membership fee, or put up with
    >banners, or ... other ideas ...? I know there are free venues out there,
    >and nobody likes to pay for anything, but I also know that people will pay
    >(or put up with advertising) for useful information and/or a more usable
    >interface.

    Strapped for cash huh? Okay, I just PayPal'd a donation. That should
    keep the site going for another, oh, about 18 minutes. :)

    Seriously, thanks for the kick in the pants, I keep forgetting to
    donate. And I'm sure many of the rest of us forget as well (Right
    Guys?)

    >I'm building a forums module for another project, and it has been an
    >often-requested feature for my own site. However, the bandwidth and
    >database usage comes at a price, and I don't think I could justify footing
    >the bill out-of-pocket (since the site itself derives $0 in revenue). I
    >would certainly consider making the service cost- and banner-free if I can
    >get any suggestions on how to make the site support itself.

    ASPFAQ.COM branded merchandise... :)

    Actually it's a valid question. And I don't really mind banners if
    they're not obtrusive, Chris Crowe had to start accepting banner ads
    to pay for IISFAQ.com, might want to ping him and see how he's been
    doing with them.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Thanks Jeff!

    Not strapped for cash, but if the forums are even marginally useful, the
    bandwidth and storage space required would far exceed my current plan (which
    is an exceptional deal, I might add).

    Even if I host somewhere for free, it would also be nice to recover some of
    the development costs, as I swallowed some of that due to a customer's
    constantly changing requirements.

    No, I won't be working for them in the future. And yes, they're aware that
    I'll be re-using the work they paid me (scantily) for.

    Maybe I could sell the source code. I've always hated the thought of doing
    that though, because I hate charging for instructional/tutorial code --
    since much of my life revolves around giving it away. It is also
    conceivable that I would sell one copy and that'd be it... people will share
    it, publish it, etc. Not that I'm a genius. But I'm hoping to make the
    performance and the feature set a step above anything I've experienced to
    date. If I'm going to set up a merchant account and start accepting credit
    cards, well, I'd have to have some way of ensuring that it'll all be for
    more than one copy. The barriers for a merchant account is one of the
    reasons perfhound is free, and also why that domain is disappearing (you can
    download the code from aspfaq.com). ;-)

    Donations were a big part of the aspfaq.com re-launch many moons back. But
    after the initial push, it tapers off quite heavily. So as much as I'd like
    to think the site could survive on donations alone, my mortgage and car
    payments are tapping me on the shoulder, suggesting otherwise.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 1, 2004
  5. "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > What do you think about having discussion forums on aspfaq.com?
    >
    > (a) Would you use them? Not as an alternative to these groups, but as
    > another place to discuss issues?

    I personally think it would dilute this newsgroup. Do we really need/want
    yet another place to answer FAQs? : )

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  6. > I personally think it would dilute this newsgroup. Do we really need/want
    > yet another place to answer FAQs? : )

    Well, I was planning on dividing it up a little better, since it is so tough
    to get new ASP newsgroups added. e-mail, sessions, forms, .... Also new
    article suggestions, an advanced group, a private group, etc...

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  7. Oh, and no post-dating, and ability for admins to remove spam / off-topic.

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > > What do you think about having discussion forums on aspfaq.com?
    > >
    > > (a) Would you use them? Not as an alternative to these groups, but as
    > > another place to discuss issues?

    > I personally think it would dilute this newsgroup. Do we really need/want
    > yet another place to answer FAQs? : )
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  8. > be careful there..... postdating sure, auto-correct these

    There won't be any such thing. Unlike Microsoft's NNTP servers, which for
    some reason take the client's system clock as gospel, posts will be
    timestamped with the server time.

    > Make sure it's only removed if it's truely "junk"

    "Junk" is anything that is off-topic (spam, .net questions in the .general
    group, etc). If someone says "Aaron sucks!" in the database forum, it gets
    hosed. If someone says "Aaron rocks!" in the database forum, it gets hosed.
    If someone says either in the .aaron forum, it stays.

    Clear? ;-)

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  9. > Hey, you werent at the summit were you......slacker.....

    Oh, forgot to reply to this part. YES I WAS!

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  10. Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:05:38 -0400, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >> I personally think it would dilute this newsgroup. Do we really need/want
    >> yet another place to answer FAQs? : )

    >Well, I was planning on dividing it up a little better, since it is so tough
    >to get new ASP newsgroups added. e-mail, sessions, forms, .... Also new
    >article suggestions, an advanced group, a private group, etc...

    Then instead of one resource with a couple dozen posts a day, you'd
    have to check a dozen resources with few to no posts a day, and no
    Google Groups to query for answers. :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 3, 2004
  11. Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:32:51 -0500, "Curt_C [MVP]"
    <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote:

    >Dang.......must have missed ya.

    I missed him to, and even had several other MVP's tell me he didn't
    show. Maybe if he'd worn some distinctive clothing... :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 3, 2004
  12. > I missed him to, and even had several other MVP's tell me he didn't
    > show. Maybe if he'd worn some distinctive clothing... :)

    Hey, I talked to Manohar, so I have proof I was there!

    I mostly hung out with Bryant, oj and the other SQL folks... including a
    $140 steak on the last night. Oops!

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 3, 2004