Frames help please

Lori

How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
crawlers.

Michael Wilcox

Lori said:
How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to
display in the address bar?

So you want the address of one frame to display as the address in the
address bar? Can't be done. In fact, the crippling of the address bar is one
reason not to use frames. http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
I have heard this is essential for search
engine crawlers.

No, crawlers will read the individual pages seperate, which may or may not
be good.

Toby A Inkster

Leif said:
$_=" 5_2 8_2\n 3/*3 \\ 4/*3 \\\n / *7\\/*7 \\\n| *17 |\n \\ *15 /\n 3".
"\\ *11 /\n 5\\ *7 /\n 7\\ *** /\n 9\\*/";while(/(.)([0-9]*)/gs){print$1
x($2||1)}print"\n"

Here's one for you Leif:

$i=$j=$r=$b=-16.0;while((print"\n"),$b++<15){foreach$a(0..78){print
+(split //,' .:-;!/>)|&IH%*#')[$k&15];for($i=$k=$r=0;$j=$r*$r-$i*$i
-2+$a/25,$i=2*$r*$i+$b/10,$j*$j+$i*$i<11&&$k++<111;$r=$j){}}}

Steve Pugh

Lori said:
How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
in the address bar?

Maybe, use Opera. It displays the URL of the last page accessed,
regardless of which frame that's in.

Otherwise, ditch the frames. This is just one of several problems that
they produce.
I have heard this is essential for search engine crawlers.

The search engine crawler doesn't care what's displayed in the address
bar in a browser. These days most search engines index framed sites
okay, but whether the results are any use for users is another matter
- the search results will link to individual pages not to framesets so
users are frequently presented with pages which have no navigation,
etc. Yet another problem caused by using frames.

Steve

Steve R.

Lori wrote in message ...
How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
crawlers.

If you have sufficient title information, keywords and content that "Main"
page will be indexed by 'Search Engines'.

What you have to beware of if the Search Engine selects that main page that
when the page is viewed in isolation from the other frame or frames, that
there is some information which will link that page to your main website,
such as a 'Home' link.

The other alternative is to paste a bit of JavaScript into the 'main' page,
so that if the 'Main' frame is selected by the 'search' then the complete
website will open due to the JavaScript instruction, not just the page
which appears in the 'Search' results.

If you want to use the script (which won't work with the minority who have
JavaScript disabled) it's below. Paste it after the </title> tag but before
the <body> tag.

<script language="JavaScript">
if (parent.location.href == self.location.href){
window.location.href = 'index.html'
}
</script>

Eric Bohlman

[...]

I wouldn't call that an "alternative." It will result in the user landing
on the site's home page when he follows the search engine link. Since the
home page is unlikely to contain the material he was searching for, he now
has to dig through the site to find it, and probably will just give up. If
I search for something, I expect to land on a page that contains that
something, and I really doubt that I'm alone in that expectation.

You might want to look up the history of an old Internet protocol called
Gopher, and look at the reasons why the WWW rendered it all but obsolete.
If you do that, you'll find that one of the most important of those reasons
was that there was no way to address a resource linked deeply in a "site";
you always had to start with the opening "page" and drill down. One of the
reasons "purists" object to frames is that they effectively move the WWW
backwards into Gopher territory.

What you *could* do is have a server-side script that would take the URL of
a content page as a parameter and generate a frameset that specified it.
Then the client-side script could say, e.g.

window.location.href = 'http://www.mysite.com/framegen.php?' +
self.location.href;

But that's only easy if all the content pages have the same frame
structure, and it's still a problem for those with Javascript disabled or
blocked (due to the security problems reported with MSIE's Javascript
implementation, it's likely that in an increasing number of corporate
environments Javascript will be enabled on the browsers so intranet
applications can use it, but filtered out by the firewall when pages are
fetched from outside).

Jeffrey Silverman

How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
crawlers.

Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

Leif K-Brooks

Jeffrey said:
It is not shitty advice. There is no good reason to use frames.

Perhaps, but "do not ask why, just do" won't get many people to listen
to you no matter how good the reasons you don't explain are.