    How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
    in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
    crawlers.

    Lori, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Lori <> wrote:
    > How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to
    > display in the address bar?

    So you want the address of one frame to display as the address in the
    address bar? Can't be done. In fact, the crippling of the address bar is one
    reason not to use frames. http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

    > I have heard this is essential for search
    > engine crawlers.

    No, crawlers will read the individual pages seperate, which may or may not
    be good.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Feb 15, 2004

    You stop using the frames. http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

    --
    $_=" 5_2 8_2\n 3/*3 \\ 4/*3 \\\n / *7\\/*7 \\\n| *17 |\n \\ *15 /\n 3".
    "\\ *11 /\n 5\\ *7 /\n 7\\ *** /\n 9\\*/";while(/(.)([0-9]*)/gs){print$1

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > $_=" 5_2 8_2\n 3/*3 \\ 4/*3 \\\n / *7\\/*7 \\\n| *17 |\n \\ *15 /\n 3".
    > "\\ *11 /\n 5\\ *7 /\n 7\\ *** /\n 9\\*/";while(/(.)([0-9]*)/gs){print$1
    > x($2||1)}print"\n"

    Here's one for you Leif:

    $i=$j=$r=$b=-16.0;while((print"\n"),$b++<15){foreach$a(0..78){print
    +(split //,' .:-;!/>)|&IH%*#')[$k&15];for($i=$k=$r=0;$j=$r*$r-$i*$i
    -2+$a/25,$i=2*$r*$i+$b/10,$j*$j+$i*$i<11&&$k++<111;$r=$j){}}}

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Lori

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Lori" <> wrote:

    >How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
    >in the address bar?

    Maybe, use Opera. It displays the URL of the last page accessed,
    regardless of which frame that's in.

    Otherwise, ditch the frames. This is just one of several problems that
    they produce.

    >I have heard this is essential for search engine crawlers.

    The search engine crawler doesn't care what's displayed in the address
    bar in a browser. These days most search engines index framed sites
    okay, but whether the results are any use for users is another matter
    - the search results will link to individual pages not to framesets so
    users are frequently presented with pages which have no navigation,
    etc. Yet another problem caused by using frames.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Lori

    Steve R. Guest

    Lori wrote in message ...
    > How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to

    display
    > in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
    > crawlers.

    If you have sufficient title information, keywords and content that "Main"
    page will be indexed by 'Search Engines'.

    What you have to beware of if the Search Engine selects that main page that
    when the page is viewed in isolation from the other frame or frames, that
    there is some information which will link that page to your main website,
    such as a 'Home' link.

    The other alternative is to paste a bit of JavaScript into the 'main' page,
    so that if the 'Main' frame is selected by the 'search' then the complete
    website will open due to the JavaScript instruction, not just the page
    which appears in the 'Search' results.

    If you want to use the script (which won't work with the minority who have
    JavaScript disabled) it's below. Paste it after the </title> tag but before
    the <body> tag.

    <script language="JavaScript">
    if (parent.location.href == self.location.href){
    window.location.href = 'index.html'
    }
    </script>

    Steve R., Feb 16, 2004
  7. Lori

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > What you have to beware of if the Search Engine selects that main page
    > that when the page is viewed in isolation from the other frame or
    > frames, that there is some information which will link that page to
    > your main website, such as a 'Home' link.
    >
    > The other alternative is to paste a bit of JavaScript into the 'main'
    > page, so that if the 'Main' frame is selected by the 'search' then the
    > complete website will open due to the JavaScript instruction, not just
    > the page which appears in the 'Search' results.
    >
    > If you want to use the script (which won't work with the minority who
    > have JavaScript disabled) it's below. Paste it after the </title> tag
    > but before the <body> tag.
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > if (parent.location.href == self.location.href){
    > window.location.href = 'index.html'
    > }
    > </script>

    I wouldn't call that an "alternative." It will result in the user landing
    on the site's home page when he follows the search engine link. Since the
    home page is unlikely to contain the material he was searching for, he now
    has to dig through the site to find it, and probably will just give up. If
    I search for something, I expect to land on a page that contains that
    something, and I really doubt that I'm alone in that expectation.

    You might want to look up the history of an old Internet protocol called
    Gopher, and look at the reasons why the WWW rendered it all but obsolete.
    If you do that, you'll find that one of the most important of those reasons
    was that there was no way to address a resource linked deeply in a "site";
    you always had to start with the opening "page" and drill down. One of the
    reasons "purists" object to frames is that they effectively move the WWW
    backwards into Gopher territory.

    What you *could* do is have a server-side script that would take the URL of
    a content page as a parameter and generate a frameset that specified it.
    Then the client-side script could say, e.g.

    window.location.href = 'http://www.mysite.com/framegen.php?' +
    self.location.href;

    But that's only easy if all the content pages have the same frame
    structure, and it's still a problem for those with Javascript disabled or
    blocked (due to the security problems reported with MSIE's Javascript
    implementation, it's likely that in an increasing number of corporate
    environments Javascript will be enabled on the browsers so intranet
    applications can use it, but filtered out by the firewall when pages are
    fetched from outside).

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Lori

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Feb 16, 2004
  9. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:08:16 +0000, Lori wrote:

    > How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
    > in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
    > crawlers.

    Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Website | http://www.wse.jhu.edu/newtnotes/

    Jeffrey Silverman, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Lori

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
    > > in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
    > > crawlers.

    > Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

    What shitty advice. Don't ask why, just do it. How retarded.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 18, 2004
  11. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:57:58 -0500, Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> > How do you get the full address of the main page of a frames page to display
    >> > in the address bar? I have heard this is essential for search engine
    >> > crawlers.

    >> Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

    > What shitty advice. Don't ask why, just do it. How retarded.

    It is not shitty advice. There is no good reason to use frames.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Feb 18, 2004
  12. Lori

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >> Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

    > > What shitty advice. Don't ask why, just do it. How retarded.

    > It is not shitty advice. There is no good reason to use frames.

    Sure there are. You just refuse to see them.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 19, 2004
  13. Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:57:58 -0500, Whitecrest wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...
    >>>Stop using frames. Period. Do not ask why, just do.

    >>What shitty advice. Don't ask why, just do it. How retarded.

    > It is not shitty advice. There is no good reason to use frames.

    Perhaps, but "do not ask why, just do" won't get many people to listen
    to you no matter how good the reasons you don't explain are.

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 19, 2004
  14. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:19:16 -0500, Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> > What shitty advice. Don't ask why, just do it. How retarded.

    >> It is not shitty advice. There is no good reason to use frames.

    > Sure there are. You just refuse to see them.

    Hitler. Case closed.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Feb 19, 2004
  15. Lori

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Sure there are. You just refuse to see them.

    > Hitler. Case closed.

    dope

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment