Frames Question

glascor

Hi I was just wondering if the use of frames is still acceptable. What
I am trying to do it have my left nav bar stay put and my top nav bar
stay put when people scroll on my text part of the page. Any hep would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Chris Beall

Hi I was just wondering if the use of frames is still acceptable. What
I am trying to do it have my left nav bar stay put and my top nav bar
stay put when people scroll on my text part of the page. Any hep would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

Acceptable to whom? It's your site, so I guess that would be you.
Before you decide, contemplate
http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/TC/Frames.html.

Also, consider that the design you propose permanently occupies space
across the top and along the left side of the window, which thus cannot
be used for content.

You can theoretically do what you describe with CSS, although getting IE
to display it properly will be a challenge.

If you still want to lock your navigation to the window, consider using
top OR side navigation, but not both, to leave more room for content.

Chris Beall

David Dorward

Hi I was just wondering if the use of frames is still acceptable.

Still?

Frames were a bad idea from the outset. Even Netscape gave up using them
after a few months - and they invented them!
What I am trying to do it have my left nav bar stay put and my top nav bar
stay put when people scroll on my text part of the page.

That is almost certainly a bad idea. People are far more likely to find the
additional canvas space more useful then not having to hit the home key (or
scroll up using another method) when they want access to the main
navigation.