frameset and loss of session

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Shorthouse, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Hey folks,

    I have IIS running on a dynamic IP so have had to make use of
    www.dyndns.org to make sure that a call to the site's WWW address will make
    it to the appropriate IP. There is an option in the www.dyndns.org account
    settings to mask a redirect, which essentially makes a frameset and hides
    the actual WWW address. This is a nice feature, but the problem is I have a
    number of asp forms that permit posting data to an Access database and I
    pass a session variable between these pages to maintain a visitor's session.

    So, in place of Response.Redirect, I used Server.Transfer, which seems
    to work and preserves the frameset made by www.dyndns.org. The problem is,
    once a visitor logs in to my login asp page, he/she is then redirected to a
    user interface asp page of sorts with a number of buttons that direct
    him/her to other asp pages. I have these buttons configured to redirect with
    an onclick, such as onclick = "parent.location='mypage.asp'", but of course
    that doesn't preserve the framset. I also tried onclick =
    "parent.frames[1].location='mypage.asp'", but the session state gets
    dropped. Is there any way to preserve the session state across asp pages
    when in a frameset like this using buttons for onclick redirects?

    Thanks for any advice,

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 26, 2005

  2. David Shorthouse wrote:
    > Is there any way to preserve the session state across asp
    > pages when in a frameset like this using buttons for onclick
    > redirects?

    Yes - by using any browser other than Internet Explorer (or by using
    acceptible P3P headers).

    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Cool, thanks very much for this. I had no idea it was just IE6 that lead to
    this.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Dave,

    Works like a charm! Thanks again. Since you seem to be up on these
    things, do you know how to do the opposite of busting a browser out of a
    frame? In other words, all my pages should be in one master frameset such
    that the address in the address bar is static through navigations within my
    site. However, for some time before you taught me the solution to my earlier
    problem, it's quite likely that folks have been bookmarking the daughter
    pages instead of the frameset page. Is it possible to pop these visitors
    back into the frameset if they bookmarked any of the daughter pages?
    Something like a response header- if in daughter then redirect to
    mother.....eesh, that could cause father to get the shotgun ;)~

    Thanks,

    David Shorthouse, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Tee hee, no need for the shotgun. I found the Javascript solution in case
    anyone was interested:

    http://www.psacake.com/web/ir.asp

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Jan 27, 2005