    don't seem to have online help i expect.

    Thanks in advance.

    Greenhorn.

    Greenhorn, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Greenhorn

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 12:47:14 -0800, "Greenhorn" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
    >C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
    >editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
    >option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
    >don't seem to have online help i expect.

    I started to learn C today (have started a few times before but never
    had the time to spend on it) and I am using Dev-C++ and find it to be
    great so far. The online help would be nice but I have not seen
    anything that is available offline for free. I just google for
    whatever I need or use UNIX man pages online.

    If you find anything let me know as it would be cool to have an open
    source MSDN type library :)

    Morgan Pugh, Feb 8, 2005

  3. "Greenhorn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
    > C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
    > editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
    > option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
    > don't seem to have online help i expect.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Greenhorn.

    Borland C++BuilderX Personal Edition. If you have a machine capable
    of running it (512MB RAM I recommend) it is a good IDE to start with.
    It comes with both Borland and MinGW compilers, has a great interface
    to GDB and that history feature we all love (compare changes you've made
    to a file and undo/redo them if you want). It comes with MFC libraries for
    Borland C++ too since I browed the windows archives on my linux machine
    and seen the libraries and include files in there.

    Nathaniel L. Walker

    Nathaniel L. Walker, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Just realized you wanted Open Source.

    There are very few Open Source IDEs with comprehensive online help.
    Of all the Open Source IDEs, I like Eclipse+CDT best.

    Nathaniel L. Walker

    P.S. and I guess since you're doing C MFC wouldn't interest you much
    either ;)

    browed = browsed btw

    Ciao!

    Nathaniel L. Walker, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Greenhorn wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
    > C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the
    > editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1
    > option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i
    > don't seem to have online help i expect.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Greenhorn.

    If you are using Linux, I would suggest kdevelop .

    Karthik Kumar, Feb 9, 2005
  6. On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:47:14 -0500, Greenhorn wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for
    > C programming.

    vim

    :->

    Mike