From 'HTML' -> 'XML' -Why?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter Christensen, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. I just started to study some material about web-design with XML and
    Java.

    I just have this simple question:

    * What is it that we can do with the new XML, that was not possible in
    HTML?

    I read that one could somehow make pages more 'active' and add
    'applications' to the pages in a new an different way with XML. -But
    this appears to me, to be a little bit confusing. One could also put
    Java apps on HTML pages, and apart from that several other ways of
    client side applications, and scripts, are possible in HTML.

    Who could have an advantage in going to XML in stead? -Maybe somebody
    who knows much more about HTML can see the differences and advantages
    much more clearly, than I do. Where do we have to use XML instead of
    HTML?

    PC
    Peter Christensen, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Peter Christensen

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Peter Christensen wrote:
    > I just started to study some material about web-design with XML and
    > Java.
    >
    > I just have this simple question:
    >
    > * What is it that we can do with the new XML, that was not possible in
    > HTML?
    >
    > I read that one could somehow make pages more 'active' and add
    > 'applications' to the pages in a new an different way with XML. -But
    > this appears to me, to be a little bit confusing. One could also put
    > Java apps on HTML pages, and apart from that several other ways of
    > client side applications, and scripts, are possible in HTML.
    >
    > Who could have an advantage in going to XML in stead? -Maybe somebody
    > who knows much more about HTML can see the differences and advantages
    > much more clearly, than I do. Where do we have to use XML instead of
    > HTML?
    >
    > PC

    Uh... well other than them both being types of markup, that's where the
    similarity ends. It's a bit like saying "so, what are the advantages of
    french over english".

    XML is a way of binding data in a symantically logical way so that it
    can be processed. HTML is for making web pages.

    XML is a structure - you can create your own XML tags, and what you do
    with those tags when you process them is up to you. HTML has strict
    tags, you cannot make up your own.

    XML contains two small programming languages, allowing you to quickly
    translate your data from one format to the other via stylesheets; XSLT
    and XPath. HTML has no programming functionality.

    As you can see, you really you cannot compair XML and HTML. While they
    are related, they just dont do the same thing.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Peter Christensen

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 13/10/04 9:57 am, Peter Christensen wrote:

    > * What is it that we can do with the new XML, that was not possible in
    > HTML?

    Are you confusing XML with XHTML perhaps?

    The thing about XML is that it's much more flexible and portable than HTML.

    For example you could use the same source XML files to produce HTML web
    pages, WML pages for mobile phones, printed documents for a magazine, and
    RSS newsfeeds for use on other websites.

    If you're managing the communications of a large organization then you
    should definitely be using XML.

    If you're just producing a few web pages of your own, then it's not such a
    big deal.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Peter Christensen

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 13 Oct 2004 01:57:01 -0700, (Peter
    Christensen) wrote:

    >* What is it that we can do with the new XML, that was not possible in
    >HTML?

    Wrong question. XML is useful, but comparing it to HTML isn't the
    most obvious or useful role for it.
    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Peter Christensen

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > XML contains two small programming languages [...] XSLT and XPath.

    XSLT is no more a part of XML than Javascript is a part of HTML.

    XPath isn't a programming language at all. It's an addressing syntax.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Peter Christensen

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >

    >>XML contains two small programming languages [...] XSLT and XPath.

    > XSLT is no more a part of XML than Javascript is a part of HTML.
    >
    > XPath isn't a programming language at all. It's an addressing syntax.

    Wellllll okay. Too tired to argue a point of view thing on that one :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Peter Christensen

    aa Guest

    > * What is it that we can do with the new XML, that was not possible in >
    HTML?

    HTML is designed for data presentation. Though a lot of HTML pages happen
    to store data, this is just a by-product .
    XML is designed for data storage.
    In a way XML is like a database stored in a flat text file.
    While HTML tags describe how to show the data and does not care what you put
    between <> and </>, XML tags describe data meaning. So if you have an XML
    tag <invoice_date> you can only put the invloice date in it.
    So XML tags can be compared to field names in a database. Like with
    database/HTML combination, with XML/HTML you can separate website contents
    from its presentation.
    aa, Oct 14, 2004