Fun python 3.2 one-liner

Daniel Fetchinson

what is the character limit on a one liner :p.
Seriously, or is that a rhetorical question?

Rhetorical :)

What it intended to demonstrate is that it is possible to rationalize
ancient habits which have their origins in particular circumstances of
those ancient times but actually nothing necessitates them today other
than the momentum built around them during their lifetime (which is a
pretty strong argument for them by the way).

Cheers,
Daniel

Raymond Hettinger

Yeah, but we don't live in the 80's or 90's anymore and our screens
can support xterms (or let alone IDE widows) much wider than 80
characters. I'm using 140 for python these days. Seriously, who would
want to limit him/herself to 80 characters in 2011?

I wonder how many people will shorten otherwise clear
variable names just to get their lines to fit in 80 characters?

Raymond

Chris Angelico

On the right hand side of my gmail window, Google posited that I might
be interested in "One-liner jokes". And I have to confess, the first
thing I thought of was "So I was writing a one-liner in assembly
and..."

ChrisA

Lie Ryan

Personally, I find that the discipline of keeping to 80 characters is
good for me. It reduces the temptation of writing obfuscated Python one-
liners when two lines would be better. The *only* time it is a burden is
when I write doc strings, and even then, only a small one.

Unless the editor I'm using has an 80-char autowrapping or a 80-char
guiding lines, I tend to wrap docstring in ~40-60 char.

Albert van der Horst

Yeah, but we don't live in the 80's or 90's anymore and our screens
can support xterms (or let alone IDE widows) much wider than 80
characters. I'm using 140 for python these days. Seriously, who would
want to limit him/herself to 80 characters in 2011?

I want to limit myself to 72 char's for readability.
80 char's is over the top.
Cheers,
Daniel

Groetjes Albert