Fw: update delay related to TkOptionMenu

R. Mark Volkmann

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hidetoshi NAGAI" <[email protected]>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: update delay related to TkOptionMenu

Hi,

From: "Mark Volkmann" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:49:41 +0900

Not enough. :)
Ruby's version (result of 'ruby -v') and Tcl/Tk's version
(result of 'ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"') are required.

Sorry about that.

ruby -v gives
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32]

ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL" gives
"8.3.2"

Your suggestion to use option_var.trace('w') worked.
Thank you very much!

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: "R. Mark Volkmann" <[email protected]>
Subject: Fw: update delay related to TkOptionMenu
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:25:34 +0900
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32]

ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL" gives
"8.3.2"

It is 1.8.2-preview3, isn't it?
If without patch, combination of this version and Tcl/Tk8.3.x
has a trouble.
Please see [ruby-talk:119637].

If you can compile 1.8.2-preview3 by yourself,
I recommend you to compile it with ActiveTcl8.4.7.
Then, you'll be able to use some Tk extensions on your Ruby/Tk.
You can see the screen shot, when some tkextlib demos are running,
on my article of "Rubyist Magazine vol.0003"
<http://jp.rubyist.net/magazine/?0003-RubyTkMovement>.
URL of the screen shot is said:
Your suggestion to use option_var.trace('w') worked.

I'm glad to hear that. :)

R. Mark Volkmann

From: "R. Mark Volkmann" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:25:34 +0900
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32]

ruby -r tk -e "p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL" gives
"8.3.2"

It is 1.8.2-preview3, isn't it?

I'm using the latest version of the Windows one-click installer.
If without patch, combination of this version and Tcl/Tk8.3.x
has a trouble.
Please see [ruby-talk:119637].

If you can compile 1.8.2-preview3 by yourself,
I recommend you to compile it with ActiveTcl8.4.7.
Then, you'll be able to use some Tk extensions on your Ruby/Tk.

I'd like to stay away from building Ruby myself if possible. Since the trace
workaround you suggested is doing what I need, I think I'll wait for a future
version of the one-click installer to get a newer version of ActiveTcl.
You can see the screen shot, when some tkextlib demos are running,
on my article of "Rubyist Magazine vol.0003"
<http://jp.rubyist.net/magazine/?0003-RubyTkMovement>.

I'm looking forward to the English translation of your article.

Thanks for your help!