[Fwd: Re: [Uuu-devel] languages] <-- Why Python

Mike Meyer

Ville Vainio said:
Mike> IPython's pysh seems a little clumsy for interactive use, as
Mike> it requires special characters to distinguish between
Mike> commands to be passed to the shell and commands to be passed
Mike> to the scripting language. This should be contrasted with

What do you mean by "the commands to be passed to the shell"? Commands
on the path (the normal situation in Unix) can be executed directly
just like in bash et al. Ditto for "magic" functions if "automagic" is
on.

Ok, I missed that. My bad.
Mike> I'll say it again - if you're arguing about which language
Mike> to use, you're arguing about the wrong thing.

In a sense C is the native language of Unix and Windows (system calls
are in C). It might make sense to expose the OS as Python objects.

Ugh. It would make more sense to expose it as (say) CORBA objects, so
you aren't tied to a specific language. Following the Plan 9 approach
and exposing it as a file system would probably require more work, but
would allow more flexibility. Then again, both approaches get you into
a recursion when you start trying to expose the facilities that are
used by the exposing infrastructure.

<mike