FXRuby and Ruby 1.9

Alex DeCaria

Forgive the post to this forum. The FXRuby forum doesn't seem to be
very active.

I'm running a script to open a file dialog window. The script works
fine in Ruby 1.8. In 1.9 the dialog box still opens and works, but I
get a list of 44 error messages in the command window before it opens
(the same two error messages repeated 22 times). The error messages
are:

FXCursor.cpp(281): FXASSERT(GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXCURSOR)==32) failed.
FXCursor.cpp(282): FXASSERT(GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYCURSOR)==32) failed.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I'm on a Windows 7 Professional,
64-bit OS.

--Alex

Alex DeCaria

Alex said:
Forgive the post to this forum. The FXRuby forum doesn't seem to be
very active.

I'm running a script to open a file dialog window. The script works
fine in Ruby 1.8. In 1.9 the dialog box still opens and works, but I
get a list of 44 error messages in the command window before it opens
(the same two error messages repeated 22 times). The error messages
are:

FXCursor.cpp(281): FXASSERT(GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXCURSOR)==32) failed.
FXCursor.cpp(282): FXASSERT(GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYCURSOR)==32) failed.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I'm on a Windows 7 Professional,
64-bit OS.

--Alex

It does appear to be related to the OS, since the same script works fine
with Ruby 1.9 on my XP Professional 32-bit system.

--Alex

Lyle Johnson

Forgive the post to this forum. =A0The FXRuby forum doesn't seem to be
very active.

Not sure what forum you're talking about, but as noted on the FXRuby
home page, we have a mailing list for questions like these:

http://www.fxruby.org/community.html

I'm pretty sure you didn't post there (or maybe I just missed this question=
).

Alex DeCaria

Lyle said:
Not sure what forum you're talking about, but as noted on the FXRuby
home page, we have a mailing list for questions like these:

http://www.fxruby.org/community.html

I'm pretty sure you didn't post there (or maybe I just missed this
question).

I've already seen your follow-up e-mail, but yes, it appears to be a
difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. This may be something
that can be fixed in the FOX library; it's not really anything that
can be addressed in the FXRuby layer.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Thanks Lyle - I was talking about the FXRuby Forum list on this site
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/35. I had posted a question there a
week or so ago with no hits (doesn't look like there is much traffic
there anyway). I solved that one anyway.

I didn't know about the www.fxruby.org forum. I'll make more use of
that in the future. I'm trying to get away from Tk and use more FXRuby.

Thanks also for the reply. I can live with the error messages as long as
it works correctly, which it seems to.

May I ask an additional question? Is there a away when using an
FXDirDialog to have the directory that is set with the dialog.directory
command automatically expand the directory so you can see the
subdirectories?. My dialog puts the target directory at the bottom of
the dialog box, and then I have to click to expand it, and then scroll
to see the contents. It would be nice if it was expanded automatically,
and placed near the top of the box so you don't have to do the extra
click and scroll.

--Alex

Alex DeCaria

Lyle,

I'm still getting strange errors and segmentation faults on my 64-bit
Windows OS with FXRuby apps that work just fine on a 32-bit OS. I see
that over the past year or two the Fox Library has implemented certain
fixes relevant to the 64-bit Windows architecture. I have two
questions:

1) How often is FXRuby and the Fox libraries it uses updated? Have all
the recent FOX Library changes been made in FXRuby?

2) Is mine an isolated case? Have you heard of others having issues
with 64-bit Windows?

I really like FXRuby, but I'm worried about pursuing it further if it
isn't going to be reliable on the newer architectures.

--Alex