FXRuby example that employs FXColorWell wanted

RichardOnRails

Hi All,

I've got two questions:
1. Where can I find an FXRuby example that employs FXColorWell?
2. Does my Ruby installation have FXColorWell installed properly?

I'm working through Lyle Johnson's excellent (so far) tutorial on
FXRuby. I'm up to Chapter 5, Drag and Drop, at http://www.fxruby.org/doc/dragdroptut.html.
While developing a window to use a dropped-in color for its
background, Lyle suggests creating another application that uses
FXColorWell for test purposes.

But I don't know how to create the latter application. I scoured the
Net for an example, to no avail. Where can I find one?

I started to code one, and included the statement:

require 'FXColorWell'

to which Ruby responded "no such file to load -- FXColorWell
(LoadError)"

I searched my Ruby installation for all files named 'FXColorWell' in
part, regardless of case. I found 6 files, all in Ruby\lib\ruby\gems
\1.8\:

gems\fxruby-1.6.13-x86-mswin32\rdoc-sources\FXColorWell.rb
gems\fxruby-1.6.12-mswin32\rdoc-sources\FXColorWell.rb
doc\fxruby-1.6.13-x86-mswin32\ri\Fox\FXColorWell\cdesc-
FXColorWell.yaml
doc\fxruby-1.6.13-x86-mswin32\rdoc\files\rdoc-sources
\FXColorWell_rb.html
doc\fxruby-1.6.13-x86-mswin32\rdoc\classes\Fox\FXColorWell.html
doc\fxruby-1.6.12-mswin32\ri\Fox\FXColorWell\cdesc-FXColorWell.yaml

I've got the local gems: fxruby (1.6.13, 1.6.12)

Is the FXColorWell.rb under rdoc-sources the file that my require
statement would look for?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

Lyle Johnson

I've got two questions:
1. Where can I find an FXRuby example that employs FXColorWell?

Several of the examples included in the FXRuby source distribution
demonstrate the use of the FXColorWell widget. See for example
datatarget.rb or image.rb.
2. Does my Ruby installation have FXColorWell installed properly?

If you have FXRuby installed, then yes, FXColorWell is just one of the
many widgets in FXRuby's library.
I started to code one, and included the statement:

require 'FXColorWell'

to which Ruby responded "no such file to load -- FXColorWell
(LoadError)"

You don't need to require() any additional libraries (other than
FXRuby, I mean) to use FXColorWell. Just create an FXColorWell widget
somewhere, e.g.

colorwell = FXColorWell.new(...)
I searched my Ruby installation for all files named 'FXColorWell' in
part, regardless of case. I found 6 files, all in Ruby\lib\ruby\gems
\1.8\:

Those are documentation files...
Is the FXColorWell.rb under rdoc-sources the file that my require
statement would look for?

Also documentation.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

P.S. If I were going to shamelessly plug the FXRuby book, which is now
available in Beta at http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fxruby, this is
where I'd do that.

RichardOnRails

Several of the examples included in the FXRuby source distribution
demonstrate the use of the FXColorWell widget. See for example
datatarget.rb or image.rb.

If you have FXRuby installed, then yes, FXColorWell is just one of the
many widgets in FXRuby's library.

You don't need to require() any additional libraries (other than
FXRuby, I mean) to use FXColorWell. Just create an FXColorWell widget
somewhere, e.g.

colorwell = FXColorWell.new(...)

Those are documentation files...

Also documentation.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

P.S. If I were going to shamelessly plug the FXRuby book, which is now
available in Beta athttp://www.pragprog.com/titles/fxruby, this is
where I'd do that.

Hi Lyle,
Hope this helps

It certainly does: it excellent. Thanks.

Thanks also for all the work you've done on FXRuby.

Best wishes,
Richard

RichardOnRails

[...]

I just noticed your "P.S." now, and it's NOT a shameless plug. It's a
legitimate reference to the most authoritative book [soon to be]
available. Amazon says I'll be able to get it in April.

Again, thanks for your help,
Richard