FXRuby Install

Mark Chandler

I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

I'm trying to install FXRuby using Ruby Gems. I've installed the Fox
Toolkit v1.4 and 1.2c using the package manager. Now the instructions
(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31532) say that I should
open up irb and test out the results.

The results I should get:
"irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require_gem 'fxruby'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> include Fox
=> Object"

The results I get:
"irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require_gem 'fxruby'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> include Fox
NameError: uninitialized constant Fox
from (irb):3
"

Thanks in advance!

Lyle Johnson

I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

I'm trying to install FXRuby using Ruby Gems. I've installed the Fox
Toolkit v1.4 and 1.2c using the package manager. Now the instructions
(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31532) say that I should
open up irb and test out the results.

The results I should get:
"irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require_gem 'fxruby'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> include Fox
=> Object"

The results I get:
"irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require_gem 'fxruby'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> include Fox
NameError: uninitialized constant Fox
from (irb):3

What do you get if you do:

require 'rubygems'

followed by:

require 'fox14'

-- Lyle

Mark Chandler

Lyle said:
What do you get if you do:

require 'rubygems'

followed by:

require 'fox14'

-- Lyle

LoadError: no such file to load -- fox14
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
from
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
from (irb):2

Marinho Tobolla

Well i have also problems using gentoo,suse or slackware gems fox/fxruby
(i even had the same error messages so it´s the same problem i
guess...). Well my problem was sort of solved, after installing
fox/fxruby from the source and not from the gem.

right now i use fox and fxruby 1.6.1 and it all works nicely.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Marinho said:
Well i have also problems using gentoo,suse or slackware gems fox/fxrub= y
(i even had the same error messages so it=C2=B4s the same problem i
guess...). Well my problem was sort of solved, after installing
fox/fxruby from the source and not from the gem.
=20
right now i use fox and fxruby 1.6.1 and it all works nicely.
=20
=20
Mark Chandler schrieb:
=20
=20
=20
=20

Yeah, the whole Gentoo FreeRide/fxscintilla/fxruby/fox chain only works
at the 1.2 level of Fox. More recent Fox versions need some work. Part
of the problem was that quite a bit of gentle nudging was required to
get them all to compile with gcc 4.1.1. I haven't been able to get it
all to work at the 1.6 level; the latest "stable" fxscintilla only works
up to Fox 1.4 and the CVS fxscintilla didn't compile.

There are Gentoo bugzilla entries for most of this, but I don't know
about any of the other distros. I'll take another stab at getting it all
to work this coming weekend.