FXRuby problems

dbstraig

It seems Fox produces all sorts of problems, but the last post on this
particular problem I could find was from 2004. I'm running Ruby on
WinXP. I installed with the one-click installer. I've tried using Fox
right after installing with the one-click installer and after updating
the FXRuby gem. Either way, I get the same problem. Whenever I try to
run anything using Fox (even if I just to irb and type require
'fxruby'), I get several thousand "already initialized constant"
errors. Here's a sample:

C:/Programming/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.2-mswin32/ext/fox16/fox16.so:
warning: already initialized constant LAYOUT_TOP

The programs still run, and if I set $VERBOSE = nil, I don't see any
errors, but I'd like to actually solve the problem instead of just
pretending it doesn't exist (unless it isn't really a problem, which I
suppose I can live with).

Any thoughts?

Joel VanderWerf

dbstraig said:
[...]

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5633&group_id=300&atid=1223

It's rumored to be a bug in ruby-1.8.5. If you go back to the 1.8.4
one-click installer, you should be ok.

Jon Egil Strand

It's rumored to be a bug in ruby-1.8.5. If you go back to the 1.8.4
one-click installer, you should be ok.

I can confirm this will fix your problem . I run ruby-apps on multiple
winXP-machines at my office, and 1.8.4 is just fine.