FYI: Douglas Crockford: Loopage

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Ry Nohryb, Aug 10, 2010.

  1. Ry Nohryb

    Ry Nohryb Guest

    "Software development is hampered by a specific set of design mistakes
    that were made in the first programming languages and repeated in
    everything that has been done since. And, somewhat miraculously,
    JavaScript is going to make it right, radically transforming the way
    we write applications. Again. In the Loop of History, it has all
    happened before, but it has never happened like this. This is why you
    should care about the emergence of server-side JavaScript and the
    excitement around projects like Node.js -- not because they're at the
    sharp end of a trend, but because they're paving the road toward the
    next big revolution in software."

    Details:

    When: August 27th 5:30pm
    Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)

    5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
    6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage

    http://www.meetup.com/BayJax/calendar/14371278/
    --
    Jorge.

    Ry Nohryb, Aug 10, 2010

  2. Ry Nohryb

    Erwin Moller Guest

    On 8/10/2010 11:03 AM, Ry Nohryb wrote:
    > "Software development is hampered by a specific set of design mistakes
    > that were made in the first programming languages and repeated in
    > everything that has been done since. And, somewhat miraculously,
    > JavaScript is going to make it right, radically transforming the way
    > we write applications. Again. In the Loop of History, it has all
    > happened before, but it has never happened like this. This is why you
    > should care about the emergence of server-side JavaScript and the
    > excitement around projects like Node.js -- not because they're at the
    > sharp end of a trend, but because they're paving the road toward the
    > next big revolution in software."
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > When: August 27th 5:30pm
    > Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)
    >
    > 5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
    > 6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage
    >
    > http://www.meetup.com/BayJax/calendar/14371278/
    > --
    > Jorge.

    Node.js again?
    I am possibly very dense, but I don't understand what the fuzz is all
    about. Node.js is receiving a very enthusiastic welcome everywhere.

    Look at http://nodejs.org/api.html : It is just another serverside
    language. I don't see anything that makes it very special so far.

    Don't get me wrong, I make a living coding serverside, but what makes
    this node.js so special?
    It all sounds like a hype to me, but I haven't used it yet.

    What do the good people in here think about node.js?

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

    Erwin Moller, Aug 10, 2010

  3. Ry Nohryb

    Matija Papec Guest

    Erwin Moller wrote:
    > Look at http://nodejs.org/api.html : It is just another serverside
    > language. I don't see anything that makes it very special so far.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I make a living coding serverside, but what makes
    > this node.js so special?

    Nothing special, it looks great to people who know only javascript so it
    makes sense to them.

    Matija Papec, Aug 10, 2010
  4. Ry Nohryb

    Matt Kruse Guest

    On Aug 10, 4:03 am, Ry Nohryb <> wrote:
    > When: August 27th 5:30pm
    > Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)
    > 5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
    > 6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage

    Hmm... looks like they're serving the kool-aid. Drink up!

    Revolutions don't happen without guns.

    Matt Kruse

    Matt Kruse, Aug 10, 2010
  5. Ry Nohryb

    Ry Nohryb Guest

    See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6k8lTrAE2g
    --
    Jorge.

    Ry Nohryb, Aug 11, 2010
  6. Ry Nohryb

    Ry Nohryb Guest

    On Aug 10, 11:03 am, Ry Nohryb <> wrote:
    > "Software development is hampered by a specific set of design mistakes
    > that were made in the first programming languages and repeated in
    > everything that has been done since. And, somewhat miraculously,
    > JavaScript is going to make it right, radically transforming the way
    > we write applications. Again. In the Loop of History, it has all
    > happened before, but it has never happened like this. This is why you
    > should care about the emergence of server-side JavaScript and the
    > excitement around projects like Node.js -- not because they're at the
    > sharp end of a trend, but because they're paving the road toward the
    > next big revolution in software."
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > When: August 27th 5:30pm
    > Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)
    >
    > 5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
    > 6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford:Loopage
    >
    > http://www.meetup.com/BayJax/calendar/14371278/

    The video of this talk is now online: Scene 6: Loopage :
    http://yuiblog.com/crockford/

    Enjoy !
    --
    Jorge.