[g++] library inclusion problem

Pindare

Hello,

I wrote quite a few c++ programs a some years ago which I compiled
successfully with g++ at the time, but now I forgot how to make them
work, so your help would be greatly appreciated (I had a look at FAQs
but to no avail).

Here's my setup:
1. I have a directory called /home/pindare/mycode/
2. in it there's my file prog.cc
3. there's another directory called /home/pindare/othercode/
4. that one contains mycode.h mycode.cc mycode.o libmycode.a
5. now I want to compile prog.cc using libmycode.a
6. so in a shell I go to /home/pindare/mycode
7. then I type
g++ -I../home/pindare/othercode/ -L../home/pindare/othercode/ -o xprog
prog.cc -lmycode -lm

8. and I get the following message

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmycode
collect2: ld returned 1 exit statuse

I haven't recompiled the mycode library for years and it did work at
the time, so I'm guessing it's a compiler issue, but what exactly?

Regards,

Rolf Magnus

Pindare said:
Hello,

I wrote quite a few c++ programs a some years ago which I compiled
successfully with g++ at the time, but now I forgot how to make them
work, so your help would be greatly appreciated (I had a look at FAQs
but to no avail).

There is something in the FAQ relevant to your question. See:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9
Here's my setup:
1. I have a directory called /home/pindare/mycode/
2. in it there's my file prog.cc
3. there's another directory called /home/pindare/othercode/
4. that one contains mycode.h mycode.cc mycode.o libmycode.a
5. now I want to compile prog.cc using libmycode.a
6. so in a shell I go to /home/pindare/mycode
7. then I type
g++ -I../home/pindare/othercode/ -L../home/pindare/othercode/ -o xprog
prog.cc -lmycode -lm

Why do you give /home/pindare/home/pindare/othercode as library and include
paths? Note that .. is just the parent directory of the current one.