Game programming API compatible with BlueJ

Discussion in 'Java' started by sgeos, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. sgeos

    sgeos Guest

    I'd like to put together a simple game in BlueJ, but
    basically all of the examples on the net use J2ME.
    (javax.microedition.lcdui.game)

    To the best of my research, BlueJ and J2ME are
    not compatible. If this is correct, I'd like to know if
    there are any fairly standard J2SE game
    programming APIs.

    Features I'm looking for:
    Double Buffering
    Sprites
    Layers
    Animation
    Looping Background Music
    Sound Effects

    Features that would be really, really nice:
    Arbitrary Free Scaling
    Arbitrary Free Rotation
    Masking
    Alpha
    Blending
    User Modifiable Frame Buffer (scan line effects, etc)
    Palette Indexed Images (palette shifting, palette effects)
    Joystick/Gamepad support

    Setting the frame rate seems easy enough.

    -Brendan
    sgeos, Nov 1, 2006

  2. sgeos

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "sgeos" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to put together a simple game in BlueJ, but
    > basically all of the examples on the net use J2ME.
    > (javax.microedition.lcdui.game)
    >
    > To the best of my research, BlueJ and J2ME are
    > not compatible. If this is correct, I'd like to know if
    > there are any fairly standard J2SE game
    > programming APIs.
    >
    > Features I'm looking for:
    > Double Buffering
    > Sprites
    > Layers
    > Animation
    > Looping Background Music
    > Sound Effects
    >
    > Features that would be really, really nice:
    > Arbitrary Free Scaling
    > Arbitrary Free Rotation
    > Masking
    > Alpha
    > Blending
    > User Modifiable Frame Buffer (scan line effects, etc)
    > Palette Indexed Images (palette shifting, palette effects)
    > Joystick/Gamepad support
    >
    > Setting the frame rate seems easy enough.

    I haven't had a lot of luck working with off the shelf game engines for
    Java for the 2D stuff. I always ended up writing my own. Backeen's book is
    an excellent guide on writing such an engine, though he doesn't cover
    arbitrary free scaling or rotation, palette effects or joystick/gamepad
    support (joystick support can be added via an easy-to-google JAR that uses
    JNI though).

    http://www.brackeen.com/javagamebook/#get

    For 3D stuff,google "java game engine", and you'll find lots. Monkey
    Engine looks particularly good, but I haven't had a chance to explore it
    deeply yet.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Nov 1, 2006