Game programming API compatible with BlueJ

sgeos

I'd like to put together a simple game in BlueJ, but
basically all of the examples on the net use J2ME.
(javax.microedition.lcdui.game)

To the best of my research, BlueJ and J2ME are
not compatible. If this is correct, I'd like to know if
there are any fairly standard J2SE game
programming APIs.

Features I'm looking for:
Double Buffering
Sprites
Layers
Animation
Looping Background Music
Sound Effects

Features that would be really, really nice:
Arbitrary Free Scaling
Arbitrary Free Rotation
Masking
Alpha
Blending
User Modifiable Frame Buffer (scan line effects, etc)
Palette Indexed Images (palette shifting, palette effects)
Joystick/Gamepad support

Setting the frame rate seems easy enough.

-Brendan

Oliver Wong

sgeos said:
[...]

I haven't had a lot of luck working with off the shelf game engines for
Java for the 2D stuff. I always ended up writing my own. Backeen's book is
an excellent guide on writing such an engine, though he doesn't cover
arbitrary free scaling or rotation, palette effects or joystick/gamepad
support (joystick support can be added via an easy-to-google JAR that uses
JNI though).

http://www.brackeen.com/javagamebook/#get

For 3D stuff,google "java game engine", and you'll find lots. Monkey
Engine looks particularly good, but I haven't had a chance to explore it
deeply yet.

- Oliver