Gateway appears to be working!!

David A. Black

Hi --

Fingers crossed (bzw. Daumen halten) -- Dennis and I have just had an
intensive debugging session and it appears that the gateway is now
working.

I'm almost too superstitious to admit it's OK... but anyway, hopefully
not premature thanks to Dennis, daz, Dave, and all the other denizens
of the deep who have helped and kept the faith.

Please keep an eye out for problems, though, just in case there are
scenarios that still aren't working.

David

Guillaume Marcais

We are dying to know: what did you change? What was the problem?

Guillaume.

Gavin Sinclair

Fingers crossed (bzw. Daumen halten) -- Dennis and I have just had an
intensive debugging session and it appears that the gateway is now
working.
I'm almost too superstitious to admit it's OK... but anyway, hopefully
not premature thanks to Dennis, daz, Dave, and all the other denizens
of the deep who have helped and kept the faith.

Well, premature or not, I'd just like to thank you guys for the
intense effort over the last few days. I lost track of the details a
while ago, but it was great to see the detective work in action.

Cheers,
Gavin

Dennis Oelkers

Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

Guillaume said:
We are dying to know: what did you change? What was the problem?

<excuse>
The main problem was that I had almost no time to debug the problem
due to lots of work.
</excuse>

I'm not absolutely convinced that the problem is solved 100%. The bug
we solved today was that messages with an 'In-Reply-To'-header, but
without a 'References'-header were rejected by the NNTP host, because
it is a violation of the corresponding RFC. The solution was as simple
as the problem - adding a 'References'-header with the same msg-id as
the 'In-Reply-To'-header solved at least _this_ problem.

The reason why this went undetected for such a long time is that the
logging of the original rubygate script was quite limited, and in fact
it implied that the message went through, even if it didn't.
The other problem was that at the time David and I debugged the problem
for the first time it seemed like all of his postings appeared on the
local NNTP host, either because the problem was of a different nature at
that time, or because the Postings we checked were all valid ones.

I am quite sure that there are other scenarios which would prevent
postings go through to c.l.r, but either we will just not hit them, or
they will catch my attention due to the advanced logging i have now.

Anyway, I feel very sorry that I did not comment this problem in the
last days, and was not able to spend more time on it during the last
months (yes, months! *sigh*), because I usually do not like problems
accumulating to an unbearable state.

One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
(at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
need for that?

Kind regars,
Dennis Oelkers
--
Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

Key Fingerprint:
A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F

Robert Klemme

First of all: Dennis and David, thank you very much!

Dennis Oelkers said:
Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

<snip/>

Thanks for the elaborat explanation of the background!
One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
(at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
need for that?

Personally I don't feel that need but it might be good to have them on the
news side in order to give Google a chance to index them and complete its
thread storage of c.l.r.

Kind regards

robert

Guillaume Marcais

Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

Thanks to you all for solving it.
The reason why this went undetected for such a long time is that the
logging of the original rubygate script was quite limited, and in fact
it implied that the message went through, even if it didn't.

The only tool I trust in this kind of situation is tcpdump :)

The (Ruby) world is united once again! Lets rejoy!

Guillaume.

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

Great news! :)

Thanks,
Joao

--- "David A. Black said:
Hi --

Fingers crossed (bzw. Daumen halten) -- Dennis and I
have just had an
intensive debugging session and it appears that the
gateway is now
working.

I'm almost too superstitious to admit it's OK... but
anyway, hopefully
not premature thanks to Dennis, daz, Dave, and all
the other denizens
of the deep who have helped and kept the faith.

Please keep an eye out for problems, though, just in
case there are
scenarios that still aren't working.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Florian Gross

Dennis said:
Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

Moin!

It's very great to finally have this fixed. Thanks for all the work you
guys did to solve this. :)
One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
(at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
need for that?

Sounds like a very good idea -- I'd love to see what I have missed. ;)
Kind regars,
Dennis Oelkers

More Regards,
Florian Gross

Dave Burt

Well done, top work, congratulations.
One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
(at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
need for that?

I would vote yes on this. Google does index ruby-talk at
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/, but, as has been mentioned,
there are advantages to the newsgroup mode.

Cheers,
Dave

Martin DeMello

Dennis Oelkers said:
One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
(at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
need for that?

One more vote for yes, mainly so Google can archive them. And thanks to
everyone involved for all the hard work that went into the fix!

martin

Simon Strandgaard

Martin DeMello said:
One more vote for yes, mainly so Google can archive them. And thanks to
everyone involved for all the hard work that went into the fix!

I also vote yes.