    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Jun 1, 2004

  2. And I can even reply to messages that already exist! Yee-haw!

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Jun 1, 2004

  3. We are dying to know: what did you change? What was the problem?

    Guillaume.

    Guillaume Marcais, Jun 1, 2004
  4. On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, 12:25:46 AM, David wrote:

    > Hi --

    > Fingers crossed (bzw. Daumen halten) -- Dennis and I have just had an
    > intensive debugging session and it appears that the gateway is now
    > working.

    > I'm almost too superstitious to admit it's OK... but anyway, hopefully
    > not premature thanks to Dennis, daz, Dave, and all the other denizens
    > of the deep who have helped and kept the faith.

    Well, premature or not, I'd just like to thank you guys for the
    intense effort over the last few days. I lost track of the details a
    while ago, but it was great to see the detective work in action.

    Cheers,
    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

    Guillaume Marcais wrote:
    > We are dying to know: what did you change? What was the problem?

    <excuse>
    The main problem was that I had almost no time to debug the problem
    due to lots of work.
    </excuse>

    I'm not absolutely convinced that the problem is solved 100%. The bug
    we solved today was that messages with an 'In-Reply-To'-header, but
    without a 'References'-header were rejected by the NNTP host, because
    it is a violation of the corresponding RFC. The solution was as simple
    as the problem - adding a 'References'-header with the same msg-id as
    the 'In-Reply-To'-header solved at least _this_ problem.

    The reason why this went undetected for such a long time is that the
    logging of the original rubygate script was quite limited, and in fact
    it implied that the message went through, even if it didn't.
    The other problem was that at the time David and I debugged the problem
    for the first time it seemed like all of his postings appeared on the
    local NNTP host, either because the problem was of a different nature at
    that time, or because the Postings we checked were all valid ones.

    I am quite sure that there are other scenarios which would prevent
    postings go through to c.l.r, but either we will just not hit them, or
    they will catch my attention due to the advanced logging i have now.

    Anyway, I feel very sorry that I did not comment this problem in the
    last days, and was not able to spend more time on it during the last
    months (yes, months! *sigh*), because I usually do not like problems
    accumulating to an unbearable state.

    One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    need for that?

    Kind regars,
    Dennis Oelkers
    --
    Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
    TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

    Key Fingerprint:
    A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F

    Dennis Oelkers, Jun 1, 2004
  6. First of all: Dennis and David, thank you very much!

    "Dennis Oelkers" <-Berlin.DE> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

    <snip/>

    Thanks for the elaborat explanation of the background!

    > One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    > got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    > (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    > need for that?

    Personally I don't feel that need but it might be good to have them on the
    news side in order to give Google a chance to index them and complete its
    thread storage of c.l.r.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jun 1, 2004
  7. On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 11:11, Dennis Oelkers wrote:
    > Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

    Thanks to you all for solving it.

    > The reason why this went undetected for such a long time is that the
    > logging of the original rubygate script was quite limited, and in fact
    > it implied that the message went through, even if it didn't.

    The only tool I trust in this kind of situation is tcpdump :)

    The (Ruby) world is united once again! Lets rejoy!

    Guillaume.

    Guillaume Marcais, Jun 1, 2004
  8. David A. Black

    Joao Pedrosa Guest

    Hi,

    Great news! :)

    Thanks,
    Joao

    http://messenger.yahoo.com/

    Joao Pedrosa, Jun 1, 2004
  9. Dennis Oelkers wrote:

    > Hello Guillaume, hello ruby-talk, hello c.l.r,

    Moin!

    It's very great to finally have this fixed. Thanks for all the work you
    guys did to solve this. :)

    > One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    > got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    > (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    > need for that?

    Sounds like a very good idea -- I'd love to see what I have missed. ;)

    > Kind regars,
    > Dennis Oelkers

    More Regards,
    Florian Gross

    Florian Gross, Jun 1, 2004
  10. David A. Black

    Dave Burt Guest

    Well done, top work, congratulations.

    > One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    > got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    > (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    > need for that?

    I would vote yes on this. Google does index ruby-talk at
    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/, but, as has been mentioned,
    there are advantages to the newsgroup mode.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Dave Burt, Jun 1, 2004
  11. Congrats.. utopia has become real.

    :)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Jun 1, 2004
  12. Dennis Oelkers <-berlin.de> wrote:
    > One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    > got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    > (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    > need for that?

    One more vote for yes, mainly so Google can archive them. And thanks to
    everyone involved for all the hard work that went into the fix!

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Jun 2, 2004
  13. Martin DeMello <> wrote:
    > Dennis Oelkers <-berlin.de> wrote:
    > > One Question which David brought up: I could re-feed the postings which
    > > got lost because of the header-bug to the rubygate so they would
    > > (at least I hope so!) finally appear on the newgroup, is there a general
    > > need for that?

    > One more vote for yes, mainly so Google can archive them. And thanks to
    > everyone involved for all the hard work that went into the fix!

    I also vote yes.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, Jun 2, 2004