GCC Broken on Leopard (OSX)

Imok20

After upgrading to Mac OSX Leopard, and reinstalling the Dev Tools, I
am unable to compile C programs. GCC is there, but it can't find a
library. I'm currently running 10.5.1.

Perhaps there's a simple solution.

Here's some info on it:

laptop:Desktop imok$ gcc hello.c
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.5.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

dj3vande

After upgrading to Mac OSX Leopard, and reinstalling the Dev Tools, I
am unable to compile C programs. GCC is there, but it can't find a
library. I'm currently running 10.5.1.

Problems with tools are beyond the scope of the C language and
therefore off-topic in comp.lang.c.

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

You might be more likely to get useful help in one or more of:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.tools
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help
comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc
comp.sys.mac.misc

dave

Ian Collins

Imok20 said:
After upgrading to Mac OSX Leopard, and reinstalling the Dev Tools, I
am unable to compile C programs. GCC is there, but it can't find a
library. I'm currently running 10.5.1.
A MacOS group would be more appropriate, this is a tool/OS problem.

Randy Howard

After upgrading to Mac OSX Leopard, and reinstalling the Dev Tools, I
am unable to compile C programs. GCC is there, but it can't find a
library. I'm currently running 10.5.1.

Perhaps there's a simple solution.

Here's some info on it:

laptop:Desktop imok$ gcc hello.c
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.5.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

I am using gcc on 10.5.1 and it works as expected. I have no obvious
guesses about where you might have gone wrong, but I'm fairly convinced
that your subject line his highly misleading.

Richard Tobin

Imok20 said:
laptop:Desktop imok$ gcc hello.c
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.5.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

On my system, that file is in /usr/lib/crt1.10.5.o. See if you have that
file, or something that looks like an older version of it.

-- Richard

Antoninus Twink

After upgrading to Mac OSX Leopard, and reinstalling the Dev Tools, I
am unable to compile C programs. GCC is there, but it can't find a
library. I'm currently running 10.5.1.

Unfortunately, it is not permitted in this group to make any negative
comments about gcc.

On the other hand, you can attack lcc-win with all the fury you can
muster, and the regulars will lap it up.

Kenny McCormack

Unfortunately, it is not permitted in this group to make any negative
comments about gcc.

On the other hand, you can attack lcc-win with all the fury you can
muster, and the regulars will lap it up.

Quite so.
Just like the Bush admin, it's all about politics. Who's in with who.

William Ahern

Antoninus Twink said:
Unfortunately, it is not permitted in this group to make any negative
comments about gcc.

This is news to me. Stick around longer.
On the other hand, you can attack lcc-win with all the fury you can
muster, and the regulars will lap it up.

Difference being, GCC+glibc is [arguably] much more diligent about sticking
to the standard. Case in point, lcc-win's gratuitous MIN/MAX macro
definitions discussed a week or three ago.

Plus, Jacob defends and responds to criticisms. GCC criticisms disappear
into the void, whereas lcc-win criticisms, for better or worse, reverberate.

If you're interested in GCC criticisms, subscribe to an OpenBSD
mailing-list. Theo & Company are happy to use language extensions; their
beef is with other areas of GCC. Consequently, you'll find more GCC rants,
though since nobody defends GCC those threads peter out almost as quickly as
they do here.

It takes two to have a discussion or argument. It's rare that people will
post follow-ups to themselves or others affirming the same thought. That's
what blogs are for.

Randy Howard

It takes two to have a discussion or argument. It's rare that people will
post follow-ups to themselves or others affirming the same thought. That's
what blogs are for.

All this time I've been wondering what purpose blogs have, thanks for
finally giving a good answer.

Richard Heathfield

William Ahern said:
This is news to me.

Strictly speaking, review comments about *any* implementation are
off-topic, but in practice implementations are sometimes criticised here,
and negative comments made about them. I myself have made negative
comments about gcc in this group, and so have others.

It takes two to have a discussion or argument.

Something that is all too easily forgotten.