GCC compiler error

Kenny McCormack

[snips]

lcc-win32 has gone beyond half a *million* downloads. This is the PROOF
that I have no knowledge of C: it is one of the most popular C99
implementations in the world.

The fact you've got a lot of copies out there doesn't really mean much;
by this argument, McDonald's is a gourmet restaurant.

For an amazingly large portion of the (world's) population, it IS.

Say what you will, but the fact is that ubiquity does count for
something.

Philip Potter

Kenny said:
[snips]

lcc-win32 has gone beyond half a *million* downloads. This is the PROOF
that I have no knowledge of C: it is one of the most popular C99
implementations in the world.
The fact you've got a lot of copies out there doesn't really mean much;
by this argument, McDonald's is a gourmet restaurant.

For an amazingly large portion of the (world's) population, it IS.

Say what you will, but the fact is that ubiquity does count for
something.

You seem to have completely missed Kelsey's point. Jacob was saying that
lcc-win32 is quality because it has a large userbase. Kelsey was saying
that the same argument applies to McDonald's. But we know that McDonalds
is not quality - and even the people who use it recognise that it isn't
the Ritz or the Waldorf.

(I have never seen lcc-win32 for myself, I'm not going to say anything
about the quality of the compiler.)

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

(I have never seen lcc-win32 for myself, I'm not going to say anything
about the quality of the compiler.)

Likewise. For all I know, lcc-win32 is the best compiler in existence. I
was merely objecting to the argument that popular means good - "Eat dung,
after all, a trillion flies can't be wrong." :)

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

That I agree in any way with someone else who has also posted here
doesn't make me a sock puppet, no matter how much you would prefer
that to be the case. Believe it or not, people can reach conclusions
which you disagree with, without any collusion, conspiracy, or
deception involved.

<Mode=Monty Python>
No they can't!
</Mode>

Good goat, if all it took to be a "sock puppet" was disagreeing with
someone, then we'd all be sock puppets - even Richard.

Richard

CBFalconer said:
Please ignore McCormack. He is a known troll.

Jacob Navia obviously has good capabilities. He is sadly lacking
in knowledge of the actual facts about C, and even worse, he

Guffaw. Time and time again your are plain wrong in your replies and are
corrected. To err is human, but to consider yourself elite is plain
laughable.

Spoon

CBFalconer said:
[...] the computer world seems to consist of X86's, (provided
equipped with the Pentium designation) [...]

Intel has dropped the Pentium brand. It's just 'Core' now,
e.g. Core 2 Quad Q6600.