Gem dependency (Hpricot)

Han Holl

Hi,

This is from Hpricot's install page:

If you'd prefer not to use RubyGems, you can also acquire a plain Ruby
distribution: http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/dist/hpricot-0.4.tgz

However, if you download, and try to build with rake, you get:
bever:/usr/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4> rake
(in /home/source/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4)
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- rubygems
/home/source/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4/Rakefile:3:in `require'

So not preferring to use gems doesn't really buy you much.

Han Holl

PS I'm sending this to this list because Hpricot is not alone in this.
Dependencies on gem are not good. Of course I'll give in, install gem,
and subsequent dependencies will go unnoticed here, until I try to run
something on a different computer.

_why

If you'd prefer not to use RubyGems, you can also acquire a plain Ruby
distribution: http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/dist/hpricot-0.4.tgz

However, if you download, and try to build with rake, you get:
bever:/usr/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4> rake
(in /home/source/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4)
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- rubygems
/home/source/src/ruby/hpricot-0.4/Rakefile:3:in `require'

So not preferring to use gems doesn't really buy you much.

Oh, I'm sorry, there should be a setup.rb in there. I've just updated the file
give it a try again. The installation commands is just `ruby setup.rb`.

_why

Han Holl

Oh, I'm sorry, there should be a setup.rb in there. I've just updated the file
give it a try again. The installation commands is just `ruby setup.rb`.

Thanks. It doesn't seem to be in SVN though, which is what I use.
It's no big deal, and I'm very enthioustastic about Hpricot.
Before this I experimented with htree, to_rexml and xpath, but this
combo was to slow to be workable.
The README file, by the way, ends rather abrubtly.

Han Holl

(Gmail seems to encourage top-posting, strange)