Gem for Mac HFS metadata?

Fritz Anderson

Mac OS X's native HFS file system attaches directory metadata to its
files. The most notable are the "type" and "creator" codes which
identify file types without resort to name extensions, and bind them to
their preferred editors.

My Ruby application needs to examine HFS metadata. I've tried Googling
every keyword I can think of, but all I get are false positives.

Is there a gem that will do this for me?

— F

Sven Schott

A gem would be great (I personally don't know of any), but you could write =
wrapper for mdls at a pinch. It's output is kinda nice (in terms of things
to parse) e.g.

kMDItemContentModificationDate =3D 2009-11-27 07:06:38 +1100
kMDItemContentType =3D "public.svg-image"
kMDItemContentTypeTree =3D (
"public.svg-image",
"public.image",
"public.data",