gem install directory error

Craig Jolicoeur

I updated my ruby/rails stack this morning on my mac os x 10.4.9
machine. Now I'm having a problem intalling gems. I get the following
error while trying to install a gem

****
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
install directory "/usr/local//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.5"
not absolute
****

Here is the output from a gem environment command

****
RubyGems Environment:
- VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local//lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM PATH:
- /usr/local//lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org
****

I'm not sure what the issue is or how to correct it. Any ideas????

Jeremy Heiler

[...]

What's with the double slash after local? I'm sure that's not the
problem but I'm just curious =)

Craig Jolicoeur

Jeremy said:
What's with the double slash after local? I'm sure that's not the
problem but I'm just curious =)

I noticed that myself and thought it might be the problem but I'm not
really sure. I can addess that directory fine with or without the
slash so I don't really think thats the issue, but I don't know why its
like that.