GEM install problem using setup.rb

Linda Grimaldi

Desperate newbie spent most of the afternoon trying to get gem to work
on her Mac (Leopard). Went so far as to compile and install ruby (went
fine) and then ftp the zip file for Gems 1.3.6, dated 20-Feb-2010. Ran
setup.rb and got the following output (unchanged from when I tried a
regular update at the beginning of the day)
sudo /usr/local/bin/ruby setup.rb
/lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:125:in `merge': can't convert
Gem::SourceIndex into Hash (TypeError)
from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:125:in `initialize'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:274:in `new'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:274:in `configuration'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:520:in `path'
from ./lib/rubygems/source_index.rb:66:in `installed_spec_directories'
from ./lib/rubygems/source_index.rb:56:in `from_installed_gems'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:736:in `source_index'
from ./lib/rubygems/gem_path_searcher.rb:86:in `init_gemspecs'
from ./lib/rubygems/gem_path_searcher.rb:21:in `initialize'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:684:in `new'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:684:in `searcher'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:683:in `synchronize'
from ./lib/rubygems.rb:683:in `searcher'
from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34:in `require'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tmpdir.rb:14
from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
from ./lib/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
from setup.rb:95

Please help. Thank you,Linda

Marvin Gülker

Linda said:
1.8.7

Thanks, Linda

OK, so it's not an outdated one like the 1.6 things still around. I
don't have a Mac to test things out here (I'm running on Ubuntu Linux),
but for me the installation progress works. I downloaded Ruby 1.9.7-p249
from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org , compiled and installed it, and after
downloading RubyGems 1.3.6 from http://rubygems.org I ran ruby setup.rb,
everything without any compilation options beside a --prefix to Ruby's
configure since I already have a Ruby installation.

Sorry I can't help you. Maybe someone with a Mac to test can. :(

Marvin

Linda Grimaldi

Life is good- poked around on the web some more and found a reference on
corrupt source index files. Deleted the old cache and the old gem
worked better (didn't croak on a method not found error) but still did
not pick up remote server things. Deleted the old gem and the new
install worked and picked up everything it should. I am now happy.
Thank you for the help. Am getting rid of the pre-installed ruby on my
Mac and using my new one now.