gem server horked?

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_18304_8592575.1129576292026

This morning seems the gem server is having a bit of a fit ... getting
timeouts during "updating gem index" ...
Anybody else experiencing this?
j.

--
"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_18304_8592575.1129576292026--

James Edward Gray II

This morning seems the gem server is having a bit of a fit ... getting
timeouts during "updating gem index" ...
Anybody else experiencing this?

Yes, I've been having trouble this morning too.

James Edward Gray II

Erik Veenstra

This morning seems the gem server is having a bit of a fit
Yes, I've been having trouble this morning too.

I've been having trouble this evening, too.

gegroet,
Erik V. (in Amsterdam, GMT+2)

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_19084_8302652.1129579369348

True, my view wasn't geographically sensitive.
j.

I've been having trouble this evening, too.

gegroet,
Erik V. (in Amsterdam, GMT+2)

--
"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_19084_8302652.1129579369348--

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_19652_31948796.1129581389124

Has anybody that's part of that project caught this yet ??? I'm surprised
more people aren't yelling ... I've got a bunch of Ruby-Nubies that I'm
trying to get setup, and this is a pretty bad first experience.
I know the discussion about RubyGems being part of the standard distro is
still open ... but, it's just a black eye to have something "standard" be
down like this.
I may be interested in mirroring them ( at least for me and the team I wor=
with ) ... is there some mechanism for me to do that?
I need a working solution soon, if theres anything I can do to help, pleas=
let me know.
j.

True, my view wasn't geographically sensitive.
j.

--
"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_19652_31948796.1129581389124--

Tom Copeland

Has anybody that's part of that project caught this yet ??? I'm surprised
more people aren't yelling ... I've got a bunch of Ruby-Nubies that I'm
trying to get setup, and this is a pretty bad first experience.
I know the discussion about RubyGems being part of the standard distro is
still open ... but, it's just a black eye to have something "standard" be
down like this.
I may be interested in mirroring them ( at least for me and the team I work
with ) ... is there some mechanism for me to do that?
I need a working solution soon, if theres anything I can do to help, please
let me know.

The problem is that RubyForge is on a relatively small network
connection - 768K. Mirroring out large files helps tremendously, but
there's still a ton of content being served through that pipe.

Yours,

tom

Ryan Leavengood

The problem is that RubyForge is on a relatively small network
connection - 768K. Mirroring out large files helps tremendously, but
there's still a ton of content being served through that pipe.

Back when I was first envisioning the original RubyGems, I had
thoughts about serving gems using a peer-to-peer system. You can see
some of this old brainstorming still (in the old section):

http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyGems

I still think this might be a good idea. These days we have even more
P2P protocols to choose from. Even if we didn't do client-side P2P, it
might be nice to at least have some kind of server P2P, or some kind
of redudancy.

As great of a service that is provided by RubyForge (thanks Tom!), it
still represents a weak link. We don't want to turn away new users
with something like this.

Ryan

Tom Copeland

Back when I was first envisioning the original RubyGems, I had
thoughts about serving gems using a peer-to-peer system. You can see
some of this old brainstorming still (in the old section):

http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyGems

I still think this might be a good idea. These days we have even more
P2P protocols to choose from. Even if we didn't do client-side P2P, it
might be nice to at least have some kind of server P2P, or some kind
of redudancy.

Cool, yup, Austin just opened a thread on this sort of thing on
rubygems-developers:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2005-October/001794.html
As great of a service that is provided by RubyForge (thanks Tom!), it
still represents a weak link. We don't want to turn away new users
with something like this.

Nope, right on, I agree wholeheartedly.

Yours,

Tom

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Cool.

http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems for a listing of gems. Click on desired
one to download.

Does downloading like this bypass mirrors? Is there a way to manually
download of a mirror if that's the case?

Thanks,
Nick

Tom Copeland

Does downloading like this bypass mirrors? Is there a way to manually
download of a mirror if that's the case?

Nope, currently all the Gems are served off gems.rubyforge.org - unless
of course you use the "--source" parameter to point to some place where
someone is hosting another Gem server. It's the regular files (i.e.,
the Win32 installer) that are served via the mirrors.

But I think the Gems guys are working on a mirroring solution...

Yours,

Tom