gem (update ?) problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Peter Krieg, Aug 11, 2008.

  1. Peter Krieg

    Peter Krieg Guest

    Hello,

    Does anybody know how to deal with this gem problem ?

    Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

    After trying to run gem update the message is:
    gem update
    Updating installed gems
    Updating hpricot
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

    c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
    checking for stdio.h... no
    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.
    BBHoss
    Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby

    Gem files will remain installed in
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161 for

    inspection.
    Results logged to
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161/ext/fast_xs/gem_make.out

    mkmf.log shows:
    have_header: checking for stdio.h... -------------------- no

    "cl -nologo -E -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD -Zi
    -O2b2xg- -G6

    conftest.c -P"
    checked program was:
    /* begin */
    1: #include <stdio.h>
    /* end */

    Peter Krieg, Aug 11, 2008

  2. On 11 Aug 2008, at 10:19, Peter Krieg wrote:

    > Hello,
    >

    > Does anybody know how to deal with this gem problem ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

    Do you have a working C compiler available ? The error message suggest
    that you don't

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Aug 11, 2008

  3. Peter Krieg

    Peter K. Guest

    Hi Fred,

    thanks a lot for your answer !

    No, I don't think so. I am running this in a (minimal) Windows Vista
    installation on Virtual PC (to easily correct for mistakes, as I just
    started to learn ruby and rails).

    I have not installed anything that would include a C-compiler.

    Is there a special one to install to run with ruby ? And where would I
    put it ? In the ruby folder ?

    If a special one is not required, which one would you recommend ?

    thanks a lot

    Peter

    Peter K., Aug 11, 2008
  4. Peter Krieg

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Aug 11, 2008, at 03:24 , Frederick Cheung wrote:

    > Do you have a working C compiler available ? The error message
    > suggest that you don't

    I thought that hpricot had a pre-built binary gem for windoze?
    Ryan Davis, Aug 12, 2008
  5. On Aug 11, 6:19 am, Peter Krieg <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anybody know how to deal with this gem problem ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
    >
    > After trying to run gem update the message is:
    > gem update
    > Updating installed gems
    > Updating hpricot
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
    > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    >
    > c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
    > checking for stdio.h... no
    > *** extconf.rb failed ***
    > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > details. You may need configuration options.
    > BBHoss
    > Provided configuration options:
    > --with-opt-dir
    > --without-opt-dir
    > --with-opt-include
    > --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    > --with-opt-lib
    > --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    > --with-make-prog
    > --srcdir=.
    > --curdir
    > --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby
    >
    > Gem files will remain installed in
    > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161 for
    >
    > inspection.
    > Results logged to
    > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161/ext/fast_xs/gem_make.out
    >
    > mkmf.log shows:
    > have_header: checking for stdio.h... -------------------- no
    >
    > "cl -nologo -E -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD -Zi
    > -O2b2xg- -G6
    >
    > conftest.c -P"
    > checked program was:
    > /* begin */
    > 1: #include <stdio.h>
    > /* end */

    Hi Peter,

    Try this command:

    gem install hpricot --platform mswin32 --source http://code.whytheluckystiff.net

    Gerson.
    Gerson Minichiello, Aug 13, 2008
  6. Peter Krieg

    Guest

    On Aug 12, 7:53 pm, Gerson Minichiello <>
    wrote:
    > On Aug 11, 6:19 am, Peter Krieg <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > Does anybody know how to deal with this gem problem ?

    > > Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

    > > After trying to run gem update the message is:
    > > gem update
    > > Updating installed gems
    > > Updating hpricot
    > > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    > > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
    > > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    > > c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update
    > > checking for stdio.h... no
    > > *** extconf.rb failed ***
    > > Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
    > > necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    > > details. You may need configuration options.
    > > BBHoss
    > > Provided configuration options:
    > > --with-opt-dir
    > > --without-opt-dir
    > > --with-opt-include
    > > --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    > > --with-opt-lib
    > > --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    > > --with-make-prog
    > > --srcdir=.
    > > --curdir
    > > --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby

    > > Gem files will remain installed in
    > > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161 for

    > > inspection.
    > > Results logged to
    > > c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161/ext/fast_xs/gem_make.out

    > > mkmf.log shows:
    > > have_header: checking for stdio.h... -------------------- no

    > > "cl -nologo -E -I. -Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD -Zi
    > > -O2b2xg- -G6

    > > conftest.c -P"
    > > checked program was:
    > > /* begin */
    > > 1: #include <stdio.h>
    > > /* end */

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Try this command:
    >
    > gem install hpricot --platform mswin32 --sourcehttp://code.whytheluckystiff.net
    >
    > Gerson.

    Gerson,

    That worked for me on Windows Vista Home Premium.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Philip
    , Aug 13, 2008
  7. Peter Krieg

    Peter K. Guest

    > Gerson,
    >
    > That worked for me on Windows Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip!
    >
    > Philip

    Hi Philip,

    could you tell me, please, what exactely you did; as for me - I am still
    getting the same error (after doing successfully: gem install hpricot
    --platform mswin32 --source http://code.whytheluckystiff.net)

    I also tried the gem update --with-make-prog option, but something
    is wrong with that option ( or the way I am putting it), its not
    accepted.

    Even though I downloaded and installed hpricot (as mentioned above) the
    gem update fails as mentioned in my initial posting.

    So maybe a detailed description of what you did might help ? --I hope !!

    Hi Gerson,

    thanks a lot for the tip, even though for me it was not the breakthrough
    yet.

    Best

    Peter
    Peter K., Aug 14, 2008
  8. Peter Krieg

    Peter K. Guest

    Hi,

    Visual C 6.0 won#t install in Vista (at least I can't) get it istalled.
    Would anybody know how to do that (as VC 6.0 apparently can't deal with
    the Vista environment)

    Best

    Peter

    Peter K., Aug 15, 2008
  9. Peter Krieg

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:11:35 +0900
    > Von: "Peter K." <>
    > Betreff: Re: gem (update ?) problem

    > Hi,
    >

    > Visual C 6.0 won#t install in Vista (at least I can't) get it istalled.
    > Would anybody know how to do that (as VC 6.0 apparently can't deal with
    > the Vista environment)
    >

    > Best
    >
    > Peter

    Dear Peter,

    this might have to do with Vista wanting you to have administrator rights....
    You can set them in "system preferences" or look here:

    http://www.go-vista.de/forum/index.php?topic=6466.0;Software-installation;registry-access

    Best regards,

    Axel
    Axel Etzold, Aug 15, 2008
  10. Peter Krieg

    Peter K. Guest

    Dear Axel

    thanks a lot for your suggestion. The problem seems to be more
    fundamental: at least when I try to install VC 6.0 within my VirtualPC
    Vista I am getting an errror message (very early on during installation)
    which must be somehow related to an address conflict. It seems that VC
    6.0 is using 16 Bit addresses and Vista can't handle these ?!

    Do you have any idea what to do ?

    Best regards,

    Peter K., Aug 20, 2008
  11. Peter Krieg

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:52:29 +0900
    > Von: "Peter K." <>
    > Betreff: Re: gem (update ?) problem

    > Dear Axel
    >

    > thanks a lot for your suggestion. The problem seems to be more
    > fundamental: at least when I try to install VC 6.0 within my VirtualPC
    > Vista I am getting an errror message (very early on during installation)
    > which must be somehow related to an address conflict. It seems that VC
    > 6.0 is using 16 Bit addresses and Vista can't handle these ?!
    >
    > Do you have any idea what to do ?
    >

    > Best regards,

    Dear Peter,

    did you try what's suggested here:

    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3328605&SiteID=1 ?
    (there is a promising 4-link post in there somewhere...)
    I had VC 6.0 installed on another computer under Windows XP a longer time ago,
    with no Vista-related problems, of course.
    Please tell me what you find out.

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx
    Axel Etzold, Aug 20, 2008
  12. Peter Krieg

    Peter K. Guest

    Dear Axel,

    the bottom line seems to be: MS VC 6.0 does not run under Windows Vista
    !

    Too bad, I have already invested too much time trying to get this
    running.

    But other people seem to use Ruby with Vista, so there must be some
    other way (other than using MS VC 6.0 ) ?

    Best Peter

    Peter K., Aug 29, 2008
  13. Peter Krieg

    Wind Singer Guest

    Peter K. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > Does anybody know how to deal with this gem problem ?

    Hello. I have encountered a similar problem. I am running Windows XP
    SP2. If you just want to skip hpricot and continue updating your other
    installed gems, you can do that by renaming the gem specification file
    for hpricot under this directory:

    C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\specifications

    just look for this file: hpricot-0.6-x86-mswin32.gemspec

    and rename it, in my case i renamed it to:
    hpricot-0.6-x86-mswin32.gemspec.bak

    i believe that hpricot-0.6-x86-mswin32.gemspec is the key to solving
    this problem in windows but since i am also a noob to ruby, i guess
    renaming this file will suffice for now. i believe the gem update
    command looks into the gem specification file for update parameters. and
    since for some reason the update will not work, i guess it is best to
    "fool" gem update into believing that you do not have hpricot installed.

    i think you can then manually install or update hpricot by using this
    command:

    gem install hpricot --platform mswin32 --source
    http://code.whytheluckystiff.net

    as gerson pointed.

    but i think it would be better if we can sort of edit the gem
    specification of hpricot so that it will point to this location when the
    gem update command is issued. i just don't know how to do it. does
    anybody know?
    Wind Singer, Oct 1, 2008
  14. Peter Krieg

    John Clancy Guest