General .NET question

Adrian Herscu

Hi all,

In which versions of desktop Windows or service packs .NET
was/is distributed?

Thanks a lot for your time,
Adrian.

Anand N [MVP]

Hello,

Windows 2003 Server

You can install .NET SDK in Win XP Professional, Win 2000 Professional

Regards,
Anand Narayanaswamy
Microsoft MVP
www.netans.com
Affordable Shared/Reseller Hosting Services

Adrian Herscu

Anand,

Thanks for your fast reply.

1) I understand that .NET is not installable in Win95/98/ME and
WinXP Home Edition - is that correct?
2) I understand that .NET is not included in any service packs,
excluding service packs for Win2003 Server Edition - is that
correct?

Adrian.

Gerald Hernandez

Adrian Herscu said:
Anand,

Thanks for your fast reply.

1) I understand that .NET is not installable in Win95/98/ME and
WinXP Home Edition - is that correct?

Maybe. SDK yes, for run-time no. See Redistributable section here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/sysreqs/default.aspx
Basically, for development using the SDK you would really want an NT Pro
based OS.
This is pretty much true for any professional development scenario in any
language.
While it is certainly possible to develop on other platforms, you will get
the best results using an NT Pro based OS (XP Pro, Win2K Pro, any server
OS).
2) I understand that .NET is not included in any service packs,
excluding service packs for Win2003 Server Edition - is that
correct?

Correct. .NET Framework is a seperate DL with its own service packs and hot
fixes.
However, if users just use the Windows Update and install optional
components, often-times the Framework will be installed and or updated along
with other stuff.

Anand N [MVP]

Hi,

It is better to have Windows 2000 Professional/Windows XP Professional or
Windows 2003 server
to work with .NET