Generating personalized HTML mail?

smitsw

Hi,

I'm developing a J2EE application which has the requirement to deliver
personalized HTML emails. Ideally, the administrator of the system
should be able to provide an HTML template, in which he includes tags
which are to be replaced with the personalized content. Much like e.g
a jsp with struts <bean:message key="xxx"/> tags.

Is there a standard way for doing this, i.e implementing the templating
system? I could of course use an XML parser to do a "search and
replace", but I'm not sure if that's the most efficient option.

Thanks!

Walter

Andrew Thompson

I'm developing a J2EE application which has the requirement to deliver
personalized HTML emails. Ideally, the administrator of the system
should be able to provide an HTML template, in which he

Don't you mean 'they'? Or are women SysAdmin's
supposed to wait around for the next kindly
gentleman who wanders by?
....includes tags
which are to be replaced with the personalized content. Much like e.g
a jsp with struts <bean:message key="xxx"/> tags.

Is there a standard way for doing this, i.e implementing the templating
system? I could of course use an XML parser to do a "search and
replace", but I'm not sure if that's the most efficient option.

An XSLT applied to the XML might transform it to
whatever format the SysAdmin's want (even if that
HTML format is not to the taste of the people who
end up receiving it!).

Andrew T.

Walter

(e-mail address removed) wrote:...

supposed to wait around for the next kindly
gentleman who wanders by?

He, she, it, they, "the entity", "a lifeform", whatever. But thanks,
as a non-native English speaker, I'll keep that in mind. Now, let's get
on topic again.
whatever format the SysAdmin's want (even if that
HTML format is not to the taste of the people who
end up receiving it!).

XSLT seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.
Andrew T.

Walter

Andrew Thompson

Walter said:
He, she, it, they, "the entity", "a lifeform", whatever.

I think I like 'entity' best, not 'the entity', just any 'entity'.
I might have gone for 'a lifeform', but let's not be prejudiced..
After all, if the client is the ghost of a dog - who cares,
so long as it can pay our exorbitant fees.. ;-)

Andrew T.

vasudevram

Hi,

I'm developing a J2EE application which has the requirement to deliver
personalized HTML emails. Ideally, the administrator of the system
should be able to provide an HTML template, in which he includes tags
which are to be replaced with the personalized content. Much like e.g
a jsp with struts <bean:message key="xxx"/> tags.

Is there a standard way for doing this, i.e implementing the templating
system? I could of course use an XML parser to do a "search and
replace", but I'm not sure if that's the most efficient option.

Thanks!

Walter

Velocity might be of help.

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/

I worked on a project where it was used to generate HTML files,
probably something like the need you describe. It worked out well.

Vasudev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vasudev Ram
Software consulting and training
Dancing Bison Enterprises
http://www.dancingbison.com

[...]

John W. Kennedy

Walter said:
He, she, it, they, "the entity", "a lifeform", whatever. But thanks,
as a non-native English speaker, I'll keep that in mind. Now, let's get
on topic again.

"He" is perfectly correct English as you wrote it.