Generic Data Access Layer

TarTar

Hello,

I need to feed UI controls (DataList, GridView etc) using XML or SQL Server.
What would be a "good practice" to access these two types of data sources?
Is ObjectDataSource a good choice?

I would appreciate any links to websites describing a Data Access Layer
suitable for various types of data sources.

Thanks,
Leszek

dotnet_coder

Hello,

I need to feed UI controls (DataList, GridView etc) using XML or SQL Server.
What would be a "good practice" to access these two types of data sources?
Is ObjectDataSource a good choice?

I would appreciate any links to websites describing a Data Access Layer
suitable for various types of data sources.

Thanks,
Leszek

Try Microsoft's Enterprise Library: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480453.aspx

Cubaman

Hello,

I need to feed UI controls (DataList, GridView etc) using XML or SQL Server.
What would be a "good practice" to access these two types of data sources?
Is ObjectDataSource a good choice?

I would appreciate any links to websites describing a Data Access Layer
suitable for various types of data sources.

Thanks,
Leszek

You should do all that operations on a diferent layer, and pass arrays
of bussines objects to UI. In your dal layer, you make the proper
decitions about the datasource.
Enterprise library is a good starting point ;)
Best regards

TarTar

Thanks a lot!
The Microsoft's Enterprise Library looks good.

In the meantime I have found the following sample application:
"Small Business Web Site - Starter Kit"
http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/small-business

They use both SQL and XML data sources using custom providers that follow
the Provider pattern. Then they feed ObjectDataSource controls with the
collections generated by the providers.

Is this starter kit good? Did anyone try to use it in practice?

Thanks,
Leszek